Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i am planning on redoing my entire dash, mine is all cracked (the bezel and the pad) and i have a new bezel that is all painted and ready to go in. But after doing all this work i don't want to have a terrible looking dash pad. This thing is cracked REALLY bad, and i haven't heard to many good things about the repro's. I was wondering if anyone knew a good shop in arizona that does upholstry that might be able to redo mine. The foam is all hard from the arizona heat.

I don't care about the speaker holes, i don't plan on putting a speaker in there.

That just dashes place is just to expensive, i have seen a few people mention about 100-200 dollars having theres refinished.

Let me know thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wait til you have the money and send it to Just Dashes. My pad was majory cracked and had a large chunk out of it for an Auto Meter Monster Tach.

Sent it to just dashes and its as good as new. Well worth the money to do it right the first time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i've heard that dash caps are supposed to work pretty good. they usually run about 70 bucks and NPD carrys them and most trim shops can get them. my neighbor runs a trim shop and he swears by them.

------------------
Derek
68 El Camino w/ 307
It's not fast but it shoots flames out the tailpipes! (pics coming soon)
Website

·
Registered
543 Posts
get a good used one (no cracked or damage) and take it to a local trim shop. The repros are not up to quality

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So hard to find a good used one here in phoenix. All the ones i have seen are cracked as bad or worse then mine. 500 dollars for a dashpad is just out of my budget. I know just dashes does a good job but i have to ship it, wait for it to be fixed, then have it shipped back then put it back in, that would take my car off the road for just to long

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found those dash covers, that you were talking about, that could be a good solution for me.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gUmBaLL68Malibu:
I found those dash covers, that you were talking about, that could be a good solution for me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A friend had a dash cap on a BMW, and the Arizona heat turned it into a warped mess.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It depends what you want to spend and how original you want it.

I tried the repro urethane dash pads ~$300 and looked and fit terrible.

I looked at the hard dash cover (hard slippery plastic) ~$60 but didnt like the way it looked.

I checked with Just Dashes and they wanted over $500 to rebuild mine..too much

So found an auto upholstry shop who put a thin foam layer over the dash and streched a black Marine Vinal over it. Cost me $100, fits great, looks great but the speaker holes were covered up in the process. No biggie to me.

Theres a photo of my interior in the attached link and you can see sorta see the dash.
http://home1.gte.net/res096qi/71elky.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts