Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to make the dash lites brighter on a 70 chevelle with ss package gauges? Any way to get more reflection off of the gauges to see them better? Maybe repaint the guages or can they be refaced with something? The old eye sight isn't as crisp as it used to be. Thanks for any help. Jim70

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
The brightest I've gotten mine is pretty simple - drive during daylight. ;)

Seriously, I'm with you on this one. If anyone has any neat tricks to wiring more lights or making the existing ones brighter, please post!

·
Premium Member
13,560 Posts
Do you know what bulb it uses, maybe you need one with more candlepower and you can actually turn down the brightness at the switch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bulb is a 194 with 2 candle power. I know that they make a bulb like it with diodes but that only ones that I have found so far are colored. Like red or amber. I thought that I had heard that some company had came out with a kit or something to reface the gauges like the black lettering on white background or other colors, but I may have been dreaming. I will just have to drive more it the daytime like Atreme70SS396 said. If I find something I will be sure to post. Later

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
As you probably know the headlight switch has a rheostat that controls the brightness of the dash lights. With the knob just shy of full CCW (full CCW turns on the dome light) the rheostat is bypassed and full voltage is sent to the dash lights. The dash light power is also routed through a fuse, the stubby fuse on the bottom left of the fuse block, make sure that the fuse has good contact with the clips. Measure the voltage at each side of the fuse, with the rheostat at max bright, should have close to 12 V with engine not running, higher with engine running. What I'm trying to say is make sure your getting full voltage to the lights. Also is there any add-ons that may be over loading the circuit and dragging down the voltage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Elree, thanks for the info. I did test not running last nite and I only have about 9 volts at the fuse. It goes from 0 to 9 when I turn the rheostat. I didn't have time to check it running but I am pretty sure that It would also be low. Do you think it could be the switch? I also don't think that I wondering about grounds.
I don't think that I have a ground from the engine to the firewall. I hear people talk about them but have never had one. Wife says I have to leave for a short vacation so I will check here when I get back Sat. nite. Thanks everybody for the help so far.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You can use bulb #168 which has 3 candlepower versus 2 candlepower that the 194 as stated before. Available at some auto parts stores.A NAPA can get it to its location over night if they don't stock it.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Do NOT use #168 bulbs in place of 194's

168's get a LOT hotter due to the increased current consumption. They will more quickly deteriorate older dash plastics and components.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Those LED's are as bright, but no brighter, than the regular bulbs. I like them because they don't burn out, and anyone reading this thread probably knows what a pain changing them can be...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts