Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I turn on the headlights, the right signal turns on in front of the car and on the dash. The light isn't steady, it fades away and comes back. Also, my "hot" light comes on on the dash even though the engine isn't hot and an aftermarket gauge is hooked up to the engine. So the light shouldn't even be working. Whats happening?

------------------
Trever Maas
1972 Chevelle Malibu
Mohave Gold
350/TH350
Undergoing Resotoration

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The fading in and out turn signal light can be a problem to chase. It may not stay bad long enough to fix the first time. Since it only happens with the headlights on, I think I would try and change the front right turn signal socket. You can remove it from under the hood by pulling the battery out. I'm pretty certain Ground Up has a replacement socket for around $7.00. Solder in in and use heat shrink tubing over the solder joints. While the battery is out, check the harness ground connection. A sort of try it and see what happens answer.
On the hot light.
If this was an idiot light car, there is a green wire that gets grounded to turn on the light. It is one of the green wires in the sender switch screwed into the left head. The other green wire on the sender is part of the TCS system. If you still have the wires plugged into the head, next time this happens, pull the connector off the sender. If the light goes off and the engine is not hot, replace the sender. If that doesn't make it go off, it could be a bad ignition switch. The ignition switch grounds the green wire as you start the car. This is a test for the lamp.
*EDIT*
On the turn signal lamp problem, be sure to use a new front turn signal lamp. Since you are changing out the socket, good time to also replace the lamp.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 04-02-2002).]

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also I want to add that the signals do not blink. I've replaced the flasher but they still don't blink. Also, the hot light doesn't stay on for long periods of time. Usually, the light either goes on when you start the car or when your driving it. By the signal socket, do you mean the part the turns into the lamp or lens?
Thanks

------------------
Trever Maas
1972 Chevelle Malibu
Mohave Gold
350/TH350
Undergoing Resotoration

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The signal not blinking is related to dim lamp when the headlights are on. My guess is a bad ground on the right front bulb from what you have described.
The right front lamp socket is behind the lens. There is a small side marker socket and the larger signal socket. Signal socket is about an inch in diameter and about two inches long. You can see the one on the left side but the right ones are behind the battery. The socket twists out of the front fender extensions.
The hot light should come on when you start the car. This is a test for the lamp. It should not come on while driving. If the engine is not hot, try the suggestions above.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 04-02-2002).]

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I'll examine it. This is a plus to do it now because my fenders are off because my old ones were rusty and i'm still looking for some fenders and inner fenders.

------------------
Trever Maas
1972 Chevelle Malibu
Mohave Gold
350/TH350
Undergoing Resotoration

1 - 5 of 5 Posts