Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darn guys... I amtrying very hard to enjoy the new 67 SS I acquired teh day before Thanksgiving and until a couple of days ago, I was having big fun! I noticed that the battery top was wet and I suspected that the battery was being over-charged ... I put a meter on the car and was seeing almost 19 volts ... At the same time, I noticed that the dash lights had gone out ... the fuse is good ... I did a search on the forum here and discovered that the dash lights and tail lights tie in together ... I checked ... No tail lights ... I do have park lights, head lights, brake lights , and if I jump a hot wire to instrument fuse, the dash lights and tail light will shine .. My question: Is it possible that the over-charging system could have fried the headlight switch ? If so, how do I get it out ? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. The car is too "new" to be sitting ... It is an 138 code car ... 396 .. .030 over , competely rebuilt , M21 , 3.31 gears, posi , buckets, console, air cond, PS, PB, off-frame restoration ... Help ! Help ! Help ... I am temporarily restricted to day-time driving ! Thanks in advance ...

·
Registered
886 Posts
First, make SURE the fuse isn't bad. Appearances can sometimes be deceiving.

Second, check the main wire to the fuse panel for the instrument/tail light circuit. I recently had the same problem as you and the circuit had been fried to the fuse panel.

Third, in the event you have to remove the H/L switch, there is a small "button" on the switch housing that releases the H/L knob shaft. Depress the button and pull the shaft completely out. BTW, disconnect the battery cable, cause your headlights will now be "ON". Remove the knurled nut from the front of the dash and the switch assy will come out from the back.

It sounds easy, right? On a 67, ya gotta reach waaay up there behind the dash to reach the button on the switch. When you are hefty like me(ok, I used to be hefty, now I'm chubby) it can be a pain to reach the switch and disconnect the wires if necessary.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey vettefella, thanks for the quick response .. at least it appears that I do not have to try to remove any section of the dash or whatever... However, I do have one question ... Do you have any idea what color the wire for the instrument / tail light circuit is ? I am hoping that a wire or connection somehow came loose ... I have disconnected the battery while the car sits ... I live about 45 minutes from Ausley Chevelle, so I might try to run by there tomorrow to pick up wiring diagram ... thanks again ... sdtsdt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts