Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Chevelle Guys,

Got a question about my lighting over the speedometer needle. Actually I have no lighting of over or on the needle at this time. :(

I checked one bulb and it is fine. But I did not check all 4 of them. If one of the 4 bulbs are bad will any of the other 3 light up?

I tried using a wire tester, (a sharp probe with a small light inside the screw-driver shaped handle with to groung wire out the top). However I don't thing I could get to the socket connection points to conclude a good voltage test. :confused:

How do I check if the print circuit board is operating electrically?

Thanks in advance,
and God Bless

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Does anything on the dash light up? Have you checked the dash lights fuse? If one bulb burns out the other 3 should still light up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi,

I checked the fuse also all the dash works. ie. gen. light, brake light, turn indicator lights.

I think I must make some pointed probes and put my volt meter into the "electric socket" to check the voltage across electric socket connector. Thanks for telling me that if 1 bulb is bad than the other 3 will light-up.

bye

·
Premium Member
13,557 Posts
I think he meant do any of the other dash illumination bulbs work?

·
Registered
934 Posts
You didn't say what year or model but for 70-72 Malibu sweep style dash, I think if the bulb on the far left side is out, the rest won't light. (just by memory)

Removed dash pad and you can get right to them.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Originally posted by mr409:
You didn't say what year or model but for 70-72 Malibu sweep style dash, I think if the bulb on the far left side is out, the rest won't light. (just by memory)

Removed dash pad and you can get right to them.
Nope. Even if the left lamp is bad, the rest should light. The far left socket has electrical contacts molded into it to mate with the PC strip. Remove the dash pad first and unplug the far left lamp from the PC strip. Around the base of the lamp you will see two little metal "fingers". With the dash lights turned on, measure across those two contacts. You should "see" 12 volts, if the dimmer is turned all the way up. If you do and the lamp isn't lit, change the bulb. The other lamps/sockets are removed from the PC strip by twisting their respective socket counter clockwise and pulling it out of the strip. Change ALL of the lamps while you're in there. Also, you can remove the strip and check for continuity with an ohm meter if the bulbs still won't light. Very easy to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,

I check the connector yesterday and NO voltage !
I turned up the dimmer on the main light switch and nothing. I visually checked the fuses and all appear good. I believe with some convidence that the fuse box is working fine because last time I tried to check the problem I remove the correct fuse for the dome light and I could get my "screw-driver shaped test light to burn bright and also dim low when turning the main light switch. I tried to trace the gray and black wire from the dash lights however they ran with other wire in a taped up harness. So, am I out of luck here on this situation?

What shall I try next? Suggestion are welcome. :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts