Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my headlight switch to solve some of the lighting problems I had, one of which was the dash lights and tail lights would stop working intermittently. It's a '67 Malibu.

When I replaced the headlight switch, the rear tail lights and tag light still would not work when the "parking lights" were turned on. Also, the brake lights did not work, although rear directionals and hazards DID work. The back up lights also worked.

Then, out of the blue, the dash lights are rear lights started working. :confused: I don't think I did anything to fix it.

Yesterday, I disconnected the rearward wiring harness to check the contacts, and all looked great. So with a helper standing behind the car, I turned the parking lights on (they worked) and wiggled all the wiring I thought might have something to do with these lights. I also wiggled the headlight switch handle. They never flickered or stopped working. I checked the brake lights the same way.

Today, I jumped in the car and started it, all was working well. Took it out on the main highway to "clear it out" and the dash lights stopped working. And sure enough, the rear lights don't work either. The flashers and directionals do work, and so do the back up lights. I tried wiggling the harness and headlight switch again, but the rear lights are not working. Fuse looks OK.

Before I got this Chevelle, it sat for 5 years. Is there something up with the connections on the fuse box that I need to look at?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Rick

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
I have had problems with this and it turned out to be corrosion on the fuse holder. Wiggle the fuse and see what happens. Or maybe put a temporary jumper across the fuse clips and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
**Update**

I figured out why I've been chasing by tail on this problem! :(

I decided I was gonna fix this car tonight, so I took my tool box, flashlight, and test light outside, took the cover off the car, and went to work on it. The first thing I did was turn the light switch on; no rear lights nor dash lights. Leaving the switch on, I grounded the test light, stuck the probe on the left side of the fuse and had power, then moved to the right side and had power. But when I did this, I noticed something glowing above.

IT WAS THE DASH LIGHTS! :confused:

I removed the fuse and examined it. I noticed one of the metal ends was loose. It easily pulled off to reveal lots of rust inside the little cap. Apparently, the test light probe moved the cap just enough to make contact and complete the circuit.

After cleaning up the contacts, I installed a new 20 amp fuse and, so far, so good.

I think, at least THIS time, it paid off to work on the car at night.

I appreciate everyone's help and will be looking into replacing the fuse box.

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts