Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John,
Didn't know if you got my last post from last week but my car is not a column shift but a manual with console. I did drop the steering wheel down over the weekend but really couldn't see anything amiss in there.
By the way, I noticed that if the car is running and you put it in reverse with lights on not only the temp gauge acts up but also the tach drops to 0 rpm. I really think that when that column spins it is rubbing a frayed wire or something.

How difficult is it to take the steering wheel and column apart so I can see what's going on in there?

------------------
Scott Wolfe
Leck Kill, Pa.
70 Chevelle SS L34

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, with the column down and turn signal connector unplugged I still have the problem.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I or someone can tell you how to take apart the column. Not too sure what we find in there. You tried a couple of different way to disconnect power to all the wires up there. By finally unplugging the turn signal connector, you have no connections up there.
No other wires running up the column except the turn signal wires. Correct?
The shift/lockout rod disconnected from the column. Correct?
No wires attached to the neutral safety/reverse switch on the column. Correct?
Believe the only wires still on the column are the ignition switch wires. Was the switch screwed down tight?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't have the lockout rod disconnected so I will try that and let you know and I will then just turn the column manually to see if problem persists.
Ignition switch seemed tight but I took it off to see how it works. Rod comes down from the ignition switch and does a 90 degree turn ito the switch. Pretty neat! I did however notice the holes on the ignition switch bracket were oval instead of round so I experimented with the placement of the switch and now my ignition switch works a lot better!! I used to have to flip it on and off a few times to get the steering wheel to lock and now it works great everytime!!
Small things just make my day sometimes!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John,
I hate to tell you this but maybe it is good news. I think we've been chasing a steering column ghost because last night while under the dash I accidentally found that if I put any kind of pressure on the dash itself, the lights and gauges act up!
What I've found is with the ignition turned on if i push on the dash above the steering column anywhere with one finger the tach and temp gauge jump. With the ignition and lights on the gauges jump and dash lights go off with pressure. I have to push harder on the left or right side of the dash but can make it do the same thing.

Of course it still does it while shifting into reverse as well but it must be moving the dash just enough to make it act up.

Any thoughts?

------------------
Scott Wolfe
Leck Kill, Pa.
70 Chevelle SS L34

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Yeah, getting closer. Starting to make some sense.
Part of the reason I suggested that you remove the column shift/reverse lockout rod and lower the column down on the seat last week. You indicated that moving the column shifter, when the column was down, everything still acted up. Were you pushing on the dash when you did this? I can understand pushing on the dash to be a problem more than rotating the column shifter.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John,
No, I had put the column back up into place when I discovered that by pushing on the dash I had the problem. I also had everything else hooked back up as far as turn signal cans, switches and connectors.

Where do you suggest I start next? Kind of like starting over I guess.

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts