Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the dash apart and now is the time to replace all the bulbs. My 68 uses about 12 of the 1895 bulbs, but the gauges are still fairly dark for my taste. I found an identical-looking bulb called a "57" and wonder if it is different? Is it a higher/lower wattage? If so, is it brighter?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
keep the 1895's

I looked up the specs, the 1895's have a 2000 hr. rated life, where as the 57's have only a 500 hr rated life.

The 1895's will be a hair brighter drawing 270 mA versus the type 57's 240 mA consumption at 14 volts.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent perfect information. Thanks guys. This forum is great. I'll put back in the 1895's. The aftermarket gauges and tach were spliced into the gauge (dash) lights for dimming, and probably lowered the voltage on that circuit (Ohms law right?). I may have to put in a separate circuit and (hidden) rheostat for those lights.

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts
Old bulbs tend to darken and can decrease in candlepower with age. Brand new 1895 bulbs may be all you need to improve the situation.

Brighter typically means hotter. Some spaces in the gauges may not be able to use a brighter/hotter bulb without damaging something.

I also wouldn't think that lights for a few aftermarket gauges on the same circuit would noticeably lessen the brightness of the dash lights.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Most of them are new and they are dull with the dimmer turned full up which should put the full 12V to the bulbs. This Impala has all metal dash parts so I don't think the bulbs would hurt anything.

Peter

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I'm in the middle of doing the same thing & wanted to mention something in case you haven't thought of it. You might want to double check the ground(s) to the instrument cluster, etc. I took mine off, cleaned & reconnected for better ground & picked up a little brighter light. It may be my imagination, but in any regard, improving the grounds can only help, if not now, then down the road. Good Luck.....Odie

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm checking the grounds everywhere, and I hope I can get the gauges and lights hooked up to test this weekend before I reassemble the dash. With new 1895's, cleaned ground contacts, all new crimped and/or soldered connections, and cleaned up lenses, the gauges ought to look brighter and better. I'll only put the aftermarket gauges on a separate circuit if I have to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts