Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i turn on my headlights the fuel gauge goes to empty, the dash lights do not come on, and the directional indicators both of them flash when you turn them on. When the lights are off every light works correctly and directional indicators work properly. The car was changed from shift lever on the column to floor and the backup light switch is unhooked. the neutral safty switch is unhooked to. Any ideas will help. I did change the headlight switch but that did not help. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I believe i might know what it could be. I must have a bad ground going to the dash. Does that sound right.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I had the same problem caused by a bad ground on the dash.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
On a 68 the dash grounds at the top left hand screw of the dash insert. Often times the plastic is broken at this location causing poor or no ground connection. You can tighten the screw or install a ground wire from the metal back of the cluster to a good ground, like the park brake mechanism.

70s, 71s & 72s have grounds at the p-brake.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the problem. It needed a ground. Took a screw from the corner of the gauge cluster out, put a wire from it to one of the bolts holding the steering column on and everything works fine. Changed all the dash bulbs with new ones and it lights up bright. Thanks for everyones help, saved me hours and money. You never realize how important grounds are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts