Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone give me some pointers....??? I am trying to rewire a ss dash w/out tach. I bought a used harness, I have no idea where to begin. I want to make sure it will work before i get everything in place....any suggestions?
Mark

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Year model would help,just pretty much know 68.Usually cut to fit, in 68 there are certain dashlights that are also turn ind.the wire will be color coded ,has on the back of the metal pan which color goes there.If your working blind on the connectors the wire length will give you an estimate of which part it operates.Then check with ohm meter from fuse that operates that system and check for resistance at the connector.But thats really working blind,you need to post year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am needing help rewiring and installing a dash for a 1970 chevelle ss clone. Dash was original sweep,I'm converting to a ss gauge cluster without tach,or clock. 350 engine. Was a bench seat car, changing to buckets. Using a used wiring harness. Help please..where do I begin to know that wires are all in working order, and where should i start first?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I would have the assy book.Know what each connector is for.Check or replace each fuse,make sure right amp is in socket and clean the post.Then clean connectors and replace or repair any bad places in the insulation.But the only real way to check condition of wires is with an ohm meter,checking for resistance from fuse box to connector.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Look on ebay for an assy. book I just bought one, I am going through somewhat the same deal, except i am changing from SS idiot lights to gauge not as extense as what you are doing, but, I have grd wires that I am unsure were they go, so i ordered the book, Previous owner had scabbed in some aftmkt gauges....Not Good!!
Hope this helps Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
elco68 is right. The integrity of the harness wires can be checked with an ohm meter on the bench. Do as he suggested with the fuse block and insure there is no corrosion on/in any connector. I would a consider using some just a LITTLE silicon spray for the connectors (and fuse block), just to lube and protect them. It displaces moisture, adds a modicum of protection and won't interfere with connectivity. CRC also makes an electrical spray. I wouldn't spend too much time or money on finding it though.

As for functionality, I'm not sure there is any way to verify that other than do and inventory of each wire and connector against the wiring diagram and, if every ting is there, install it.

Maybe John or Finally has a better idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thnkas everyone for your input....one othere thing....has anyone had good results with a complete harness from painless?

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
I have no experience with painless other than what I have read on this board. I have an original dash harness in my 70, and the engine harness is a brand new unit from M&H. It is very well made and all looks stock.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I went with a Painless harness and it worked out great for me. But, I have done a totally custom dash and extensive power options that were not original, so having the extra circuits was great. I did, however discover that you've got to have your original, or at least a stock harness handy, to grab misc. connectors that you will need.
If you are trying to go stock replacement, then M&H is your better choice, especially if you are joining repacement sections with original stock sections of the harness.
-Bill

·
Registered
558 Posts
I bought the factory wiring harness diagram (less than $10) and had the pages enlarged (.70 ea.) It shows both SS and NON-SS versions and options. Get some masking tape or a label machine and take the time to label the wires. I used a Painless harness for my gauge cluster and found it to be a good product. Painless, M&H and American Auto Wire all make factory-style direct replacement harnesses.

Docaudio, which harness did you use? I'm thinking the #10201 universal 18 circuit w/GM keyed steering column. Adding power windows, electric cooling fan, high power stereo and replacing the sweep/idiots with gauges. Maybe shaved handles later. Ya know, I had a sneaking suspicion you had to re-use some of the plugs. I bet the headlight was one of them. Am I right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts