Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.I have a 70 Chevelle with the sweep gauge and would like to change to the round gauges. how hard is it? where could I get one that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I don't even care if it is a Monte dash(I can fill the holes).

2. Anyone ever find a pic of a black Chevelle with the red stripes....I would like to see one before I spend the money and am disappointed.

AMERICAN AND DAMN PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!

------------------
I think my beer drinking team has a racing problem!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just moving back to top.

------------------

·
Registered
996 Posts
Cecil,

That explains round dummy to round gauges but not sweep to round with gauges. Has anyone documented the change from sweep to round gauges or is it pretty much the same as that post? I have a 72 gauge dash that is going in my 70 with the original six banger engine harness. I do have both the under dash and engine harness for my 72 dash but I would rather just add the needed wires for the conversion. The six banger engine harness is nice the way the alternator harness is on the the drivers side down low for the six. it's pretty cool actually.

thanks
John

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've personally done this conversion, so here's some things to keep in mind. Assuming your going to use a full gauge dash. You will need the COMPLETE dash, not just the gauge cluster. You will need a complete under dash wiring narness, and the complete wiring harness for under hood. If you don't use these, the splicing of wires gets overwhelming. You will need new water and oil sending units for the motor that are suited for the gauges. The parts you need are all available on the parts site. Get a wiring diagram. Cost will be $1,000-$1,500. Time will up to you. It took me two weekends to do it right. Hope this helps, Steve

·
Registered
996 Posts
Are the wiring diagrams complete in the factory manuals?

I thought I heard at some point that something was missing? Can't remember.

John

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Sorry, but this conversion WILL cost you an arm and a leg. There's no way around it. Dashes in decent condition go for around $500 to $750.
There is an alternative. Let me see if I can find the link. I'll post it as soon as I find it.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts

[This message has been edited by Randy Mosier (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The link is not there anymore. But one our fellow members has done the Auto Meter Guage conversion on the sweep style dash. This is a good looking modification. His user name is Uncle aka Phil Harkins. I'll post a link to this thread and see if he can send you some pictures.

[This message has been edited by Randy Mosier (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Registered
100 Posts
YA know, it's wierd, but I have an origional assembly line manual from the Baltimore plant, and it does not show the wiring for full gauges. I'm told that was done with cut-sheets when the option was applied. I know that someone out there has something to go by, but I don't know who. When I did my conversion, I used the following as a guide. http:/members.home.net/jimmy4/conversion.htm This will get you started at the fuse block. And Yes, the complete fuse block must be changed out. Hope this helps, Steve

------------------
1970 Chevelle Convertible

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks a lot guy's. i was think about using autometer gauges but didn't know if it would look good or not.i think i will do that but i think the black face gauges would look better in my black interior. Do you know if he has a pic of it after it is installed? the only ones i seen on the web site were of the cluster on a table.

AMERICAN....AND DAMN PROUD OF IT!!!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by badboydale (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I will post Uncle's e-mail address. He went with white face guages on his, but it's installed in the car and he is driving it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.