Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 SS Chevelle without the seatbelt warning light (built November 1971) with the round idiot light SS dash and A/C. I know someone that has a tach/gauge cluster from a 71 SS without A/C. Will the dash harness be a direct replacement or will I have to modify it?

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
this swap will be a nightmare unless you have schematics for both harnesses and arent afraid to make changes and move a lot of wires around. Not only do A/C and non A/C harnesses have different wiring setups for the controls, but the 71 to 72 harnesses have a lot of wires moved around at the fuse block, and other changes. I have done this and it can be done, but you have to have the schematics and understand what you are doing. Otherwise I think you should buy a new 72 SS w/ A/C harness, which will work with the 71 cluster. 70 and 71 are the same, but I try and keep 72 wiring harnesses with 72 cars.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
68/72 chevelles
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
This should be the changes you will need to make to convert a 71 dash harness for use in a 72 dash.

If you look closely at the wire side of the dash harness bulkhead connector (separate the fuse block from the bulkhead connector) You should see letters marking the rows and columns. The rows are A,B,C and D. The columns are S,T,U and V for the forward lamp harness and W,X,Y and Z for the engine harness. The following instructions will refer to these coordinates.

Forward lamp harness
AS – No wire
BS – Tan wire (for brake warning light) From DU
CS – Light Blue wire (for left hand direction signal) NO CHANGE
DS – Yellow wire (for windshield wiper power) From CY
AT – Black wire (ground from steering wheel horn button for horn relay) From AT
BT – Brown/white wire (from ignition switch to voltage regulator) From CU. Two wires on light harness. The second, Brown is from the GEN light.
CT – Dark Blue wire (for right hand direction signal) NO CHANGE
DT – Light Blue wire (for windshield wiper) From DY
AU – Light Green wire (for headlights high beam) NO CHANGE
BU – Brown wire (for running lights) From BU
CU – Dark blue wire (for windshield wiper) From CZ
DU – Black wire (for windshield wiper) From DZ
AV – Tan wire (for headlight low beam) NO CHANGE
DV – No wire

Engine harness
AW – No wire (engine harness has black wire to trans switch for TCS)
DW – Red wire (main power feed from horn relay/starter) From DV
AX – No wire (Would be a tan wire for TCS)
BX – Pink wire (connects to a brown or white/orange/ppl resistance wire to coil +) NO CHANGE
CX – Black/White wire (for amp gauge) No wire on light dash harness
DX – Black wire (for amp gauge) No wire on Engine harness
AW – No wire (engine harness has black wire to trans switch for TCS)
DW – Red wire (main power feed from horn relay/starter) From DV
AX – No wire (Would be a tan wire for TCS)
BX – Pink wire (connects to a brown or white/orange/ppl resistance wire to coil +) NO CHANGE
CX – Black/White wire (for amp gauge) No wire on light dash harness
DX – Black wire (for amp gauge) From DT No wire on light dash harness.
AY – Brown wire (for tachometer to coil -) From DS No wire on light dash harness.
BY – Dark Blue wire (for oil pressure switch) NO CHANGE
CY – No wire
DY – No wire
AZ – Purple wire (to starter solenoid) From AW
BZ – Orange wire (for heater blower not used on air conditioned car) NO CHANGE
CZ – Dark Green wire (for engine water temp sender) From BS Temp switch on light harness.
DZ – No wire (would be dark blue for TCS solenoid)

The 71 dash harness will not accommodate the TCS and Key Minder circuits. Both of which have relays/buzzers as part of the dash harness on the 72 but are under the hood on 71.

For the A/C you will remove the brown wire from the heater control wiring, you can remove the rest of the heater wiring. The brown wire will connect to the A/C harness for power supply the same as the brown wire on the old 72 harness. You will remove the single wire connector from the brown wire of the old 72 harness to install on the brown wire of the 71 harness.

Edit- Additional "From" information for the engine harness was added.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 06-21-2002).]

A

·
0 Posts
Guys,

Anyone know if this wire harness info in this type of detail is on the list or web for a 66 SS car? I would like to find that info if anyone could be of help. Thanks all.

Dwaine
66SS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts