Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! the dash lights fuse keeps blowing in my 70 chevelle. I have a SS dash with gauges and just recently a fuse blew. I've tried to replace a couple of times but blows immediately. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Don't have an easy way to chase it down. It's probably one of the dash lamps or a dash lamp socket. All the dash lamps have a gray wire. Need to unplug and remove the lamps to see which one it is. Do you have a center console with some lamps in it? Maybe something on that gray wire. If you are still using the factory radio, maybe that lamp or socket.

·
Registered
27 Posts
it is the grey wire like John said. you could pull you dash pad and unplug the cluster to eliminate or confirm if the problem is in the cluster. if it quits blowing it will probabley be in the printed circuit, the give at lot of trouble.

·
Premium Member
16,475 Posts
I had this same exact problem in my 70. It ended up being the circuit board on the back. It was broken and ground itself out on the metal part of the housing. It took me forever to track it down. Now I have a new problem, the tail light fuse keeps blowing out
. I'll be tracking down the problem tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
I had a similar problem with the dash/tail lamp fuse on my '72. It turned out to be a bad fuse holder clip. It was corroded and the resulting poor conductivity caused a lot of heat to be added to the fuse. It took a while to clean it and find just the right way to wiggle the fuse so it would connect well. Put in a new fuse, turn things on and put a finger against the fuse. If it is really hot, you have a bad connection at the fuse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by John_Muha:
Don't have an easy way to chase it down. It's probably one of the dash lamps or a dash lamp socket. All the dash lamps have a gray wire. Need to unplug and remove the lamps to see which one it is. Do you have a center console with some lamps in it? Maybe something on that gray wire. If you are still using the factory radio, maybe that lamp or socket.
I do have a center console but no factory radio.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Tried seeing if the fuse is getting warm like JW suggested? Tried unplugging the console or the lead to the dash light circuit borad? One of those things should start narrowing it down for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts