Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried those stereo speakers that mount in the original single center speaker hole in the top of the dash? I'm talking about the dual speaker setup that replaces the original speaker in the dash for stereo applications. How do they sound?

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Yeah I did...real POS..sound terrible with a stock radio....ALbert

·
Registered
655 Posts
yea, they suck!!!! mine are now hidden behind the kick panels because they wouldnt even fit in my A/C car. it said for A/C but I couldnt get the dash back in with the a/c ducts.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input. I think I'll pass on them, nad do speakers some other location. I am replacing the wiper switch, so thought it was a good time to replace the dash speaker while the dash was down. Guess I won't.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's what I did in my 67 camaro. I don't know how much chevelle differs from mine.

I had these Pioneer speakers from another car but never used them. I took out my old dash speaker removed the rubber carefully then cut off the old speaker housing with a cutoff wheel, welded in the speaker plates, Painted the top flat black so not visable threw grille, set in the speakers and painted the chrome trim and screws on them also, then glued a pc. of fabric on top. That's about it. Cost, Zero, Notta. Beats the hell out of paying $35 plus s&h from reprod catalogs (They're getting enough of my money) plus this should fit back in perfectly.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car has a/c. so the space is so small up in the dash, I decided to go the kick panel route. 4" speakers, no grills, just drilling holes in the panel so the sound can come through. That way the speaker would be behind the panel, and nothing would be protruding from the kick panel itself. Maybe drill in a bowtie pattern. What do you guys think. Anyone do it this way?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts