Team Chevelle banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some of the posts on restoring a dash bezel. My dash bezel(instrument holder) doesn't look like chrome. It looks kind of like aluminum, dull (I know it's because of age.) In some parts where the "paint" is peeling it looks yellowish. Can I just remove the paint and spray paint it with Krylon Chrome paint. I have used this paint to simulate "tin ceiling" in my house. (I bought some cardboard "tin" ceiling squares and painted them and I have fooled all the people who have seen them.) Also if some of the chrome in my car is pitting, like the rear view mirror holder, can I just sand and put that chrome leaf overlay on top of it? In addition, did the rear seat of a malibu SS 1964 Chevelle have a Bow Tie emblem or did it say Chevrolet?
Thank you.

·
Registered
764 Posts
That plastic bezel on your dash will look its best if you have it re"chromed". Its a special process on plastic, and will look much better than just rattle can paint. Not cheep, but worth the difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do I have to still paint after I get it re-chromed?

·
Registered
658 Posts
lita,
You don't have to paint it after having it re-chromed, what RedElky is saying is that having your dash bezel re-chromed will look better than if you were to not re-chrome it and just spray paint it instead.

As for your rear veiw mirror holder you can get a new one from original parts group for $38.95, replaceing it will probaly be cheaper than re-chromeing it they also have reproduction dash bezels for your 64 for $199.95.

Brandon

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Check out American Chrome. It is expensive it's a vacum process. Do a search there is some good info.

All the chrome spray I have used will not take a clear coat afterwards.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What you're looking at is Vacuum Metalizing. It's commonly used on plastic reflectors for lights (tail, side etc) The machinery is VERY expensive but most shops have allready paid for it long ago. The shiney look is from a thin coat of aluminum not chrome, then it's topcoated with usually clear sealer. Gold bowling trophies are done the same way with a gold tinted topcoat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts