Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash bezel re-chroming advice needed!

8K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Rainer 
#1 ·
I would like to have the plastic outline of my instrument cluster re-chromed for my '68 Chevelle. I tried the silver Testors paint, but I am not happy with the results. I got a price from Don's East Coast Restoration of $300 to re-chrome the plastic. That seems a little much for me...has anyone had their dash plastic re-chromed? Can anyone give me advice or suggestions on where to ship my bezel to get re-chromed?

Thanks for any help!

Matt

#2 ·
Hi MAtt,

Try a search on this topic. Almost every one of us with a 68 has gone thru the same thing at one point or another, and it all comes down to this: Paint, no matter what brand, look bad. Rechrome is the only way to go, and it's not cheap. Cost varies with the amount of work done (Chrome v. chrome and repaint).

There are a number of vendors who do it, each with good points and bad. Almost all of it has been covered here, so a search on 'chrom' and 'bezel' shoud give you a good amount of info.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/~68_chevelle/Chevelle/Info.html
Email: Kbyfield@terracom.net
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

#3 ·
I had the dash bezel in my 65 rechromed about 10 years ago and it still looks fine. It was done by a company in California called The Restore Store. The name may have changed, but I recall it was in Yorba Linda, California. Real slow process, but he does good work. Details them nicely too with paint in the proper areas. I don't know if they are still in business though.

Be careful, there are lots of BAD plastic rechroming places out there. I should know, I've dealt with most of them at one time or another. Avoid ANY plastic rechroming company out of Michigan, many of them did much less than adequate work for me in the past.

Hemmings can be a good source of businesses who do this kind of work.

#4 ·
By the way, Don's East Coast is an okay business I guess, but I find his prices on the high side. He doesn't do the rechroming himself but he farms it out to another company. Try to deal with the rechroming company direct, cut out the middle man and save a buck or two.

#6 ·
I had my '69 dash rechromed by American Plastic Chrome, Wayne, Michigan, (734)721-1967, with good results. Cost was about $110, incl return shipping for chrome only. To chrome and repaint, the cost would have been around $240 I think. I repainted myself, but it is a big pain. von

#8 ·
I'm also getting ready to have re-chroming done to my '71 chevelle ss dash. It sounds like american plastic chrome will repaint the dash the appropriate black, and rechrome the gauge cluster, and outer edge of the instrument panel. Is that correct? Do they also paint the under dash a specified color?

Any other companies I could call for this service?

#9 ·
I guess this is the time to ask this question. At a car show recently, myself and a '70 SS owner had the discussion whether '70-72 SS dashes had chrome or silver paint edging. He thought chrome but I thought I saw silver paint on the flawless restored '70's that were at Chevellabration. Can any '70 SS owners answer? von

#11 ·
Here is a lower buck alternative to plastic rechroming. It requires your time and patience. I restored my 70 dash using the following procedure.

1) completely disassemble. take pictures or notes describing what was chrome. Clean with SEM sand free and paint entire dash using SEM Plastic/Vinyl Paint in the proper interior color. Follow directions as you must paint the top coat while the Sand Free is still wet.

2) Carefully sand all bezel areas to bare plastic using emery boards or small pieces of sandpaper glued to toothpick or popsicle stick.

3) Go to your local hobby shop. Buy a product called Bare Metal Chrome. It is a very thin chrome sheet with an adhesive backing, as thin as gold leaf. Cut to approximate size, remove backing and stick on lightly. Trim to exact size with sharp x-acto knife, burnish it on with fingernail or toothpick.

4)Don't worry about using several pieces, edges are not visible. It takes practice and time but looks beautiful. The biggest cost is your time. Good Luck

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS Convertible
1937 Master Business Coupe
1996 S-10 Blazer

Yup, I'm Chevy Prejudiced!!!!

#14 ·
In case anyone is wondering, the price for APC to do a 70-72 dash jumps up to $475, and that's NOT including painting...

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50

'68 SS396 (soon to be for sale!)
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
rseitz@chevelles.com

#15 ·
Did you try the Parts Place in Elburn Ill.I got alot of parts there that were not carried by the top vendors,Original,National,etc.I think they do recroming,it's where I found the bunpers for my 67SS.Got my crome bezels there too.Can see my car at aol hometown search for klmlobo

#16 ·
My '71 and '72 bezels both came with painted silver edges, not chrome.

------------------
Dan Carr
dcarr@chevelles.com
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
www.rmi.net/~dcarr/cars/cars.HTM

#17 ·
Dan -

The process originally used to plate the bezels is vacuum metallizing. As this surface ages, it tends to get hazy-looking. It then resembles silver paint, but the bezels were definitely not painted. I have two 70's, and I'll agree that in some places the bezels really look like they were painted silver, but that's not the case

If you look at the backside of any 68-72 dash bezel, you can see the plating. Also, the plating often shows thru in places where the bezel color wears off. Finally, if you take an unrestored bezel and rub an area where the plating hasn't worn off, it will actually regain some of its chrome-like appearance.

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50

'68 SS396 (soon to be for sale!)
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
rseitz@chevelles.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.