Team Chevelle banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks Merlin for your reply to my previous post, but I'm still having problems figuring out what color the interior of my 68 Elkie should be. Trim Code says Dark Blue Bench Seat. I stripped the black paint off the Kick Panels and rear side plastic and see that they were originally Blue. My problem is the Dash bezel is light blue and my steering column is black. Shouldn't the dash be either black or match the kick panels? If it's the same color blue as the kick panels, shouldn't the steering column also be blue?

I'm looking at two options and would like some advice.

1. Paint the dash bezel black and leave the steering column black. But then what color do I paint the rest of the dash (the metal part, glove box, etc.)?

2. Paint the dash bezel, steering column and the rest of the dash blue.

Suggestions please...?

------------------
Ed

'68 El Camino (Current Project)
'66 Caddy Conv (Cruiser)
'87 Vette (Daily Driver)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Ed, are you trying to put your El Camino interior back to its original color scheme? If so, I cannot provide a definitive answer. Most, if not all SS Models in 1968 recieved a black dash bezel and column, regardless of interior color. My first SS had the gold interior. Everything inside was some shade of gold, kick panels, console, seats, door panels, dash pad, arm rests bases and pads, headliner and visors, the metal portion of the dash and more. Dash bezel, column and wheel however, were black. Another SS I owned came with a white interior. Again, everything was white with the exception of the kick panels, console, carpet, dash pad, and metal portion of the dash. With the white interior these items were black, along with the column, wheel, and dash bezel. My current SS came with a black interior... everything is black.
Non SS models are a different story. While I have never owned a Malibu, I have seen many where the wheel, column, and dash bezel match the color of the rest of the interior.
With regard to the 2 items above for which you seek advice/suggestions, I can only offer my opinion. I am partial to the black dash bezel and column, even if everything else is blue, or gold, or red, etc. While this combo may not be correct for a Malibu, it would be correct for an SS, and I can attest that it will look good.
Not to confuse the issue further, but if you're striving for correctness, keep in mind the different 'degree of gloss' finish for the various components of your interior.
I hope this helps somewhat.
Patrick

------------------
Patrick, aka Merlin
1968 SS 396/325 4-Speed, White with black vinyl top & black interior.
TC#1017

[This message has been edited by Merlin (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again Merlin. I wasn't looking for original, but wanted to be 'correct.' Since my steering column's black, I'll go with the black bezel (didn't like the blue anyway.) I'll paint the rest of the metal dash and the dash pad to match the blue on the plastic panels.

I have a question on color matching, but will start a new post.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Just to add to that, for your info ALL columns started out painted black at the factory as they were assembled, then if the interior called for the column to be a different color, this color was painted OVER the black. If your column had any blue paint on it, odds are good it was blue originally, even if the bottom color you found was black.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Yeah my old 'bu had all gold interior. The dash bezel, colum, and steering wheel where gold. I'm pretty sure that all 'bu s had the same color scheme for interior. Now this could be different for Elkys.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/Joe_Y.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Joe Yoder
</A>
BADBU68

Would you like fries with that?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mine is an original elky malibu deluxe. Medium blue (755) interior. Everything that isn't chrome is blue. Including the steering wheel,horn shroud and horn buttons.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine seems to be the oddball of the group. I have a Malibu that has the saddle interior. Everything is the gold/saddle color, with the exception of the dash bezel, which is black. It has the full gauge package. I have the '68 brochure for Elky's, and in it is a blue SS with full gauges, with the full blue interior, including the dash bezel. I cannot come to a conclusion as to weather a black dash bezel was for only SS or not, but i think that the black looks best.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> '68 El Camino w/327 Turbo 350, PB, PS, PW, cruise control, A/C, gauges.
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
[/list]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts