Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was tearing out the headliner in my '67 SS (looking for buildsheet) and found a mouse nest. A mouse jumped out and there was about a coffee can of grain in the headliner and a huge nest the built.
But things get worse, I found the buildsheet in a million pieces tore up by the mice. :mad:
:mad: They are getting the Antifreeze tonight :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yeah ain't it great :rolleyes: , I have a similar story. When I bought my 72 it had been stored in a barn for eight years (you already know whats coming) I didn't find any live mice but in the end I had 12 mumified mice skeletons, their nest was under the passenger side back seat bottom and was about two feet long. They made the nest out of the burlap and wool type material under the seat covers and of course my buildsheet too
It's in a thousand pieces but I was able to piece together enough of it to document my 72 as a real SS and all of it's options. This made me hate mice even more the little pests.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hey, they're just being mice! :D

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Just redid the seats for my 69, found the right seats in a junkyard and yes, the bottoms were full of nests and just general YUCK! Nasty!

I feel your pain, ick!

·
Registered
187 Posts
i found plenty dead mice in my chevelle... the seats had big nests.. now im scared that i will not find my build sheet... my rear seat was removed before so if it was there its probably gone.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took a better look at the "pieces" of paper I found and I question if it's the buildsheet. There are very small pieces and no text on them. Last place to look is the gas tank. Wish me luck
As for the mice, the antifreeze got 'em. Suckers :D
wes

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Say what you want about cats..... I love mine!!! In my yard/shop/house, if it moves, it's dead. Mice,moles,rats,shrews,snakes and even an occasional poor little bunny.

cam

·
Registered
767 Posts
To protect both the Chevelles parked in my garage I bought a new attack tom cat. This dude is almost 20 pounds!!! The mice are GONE but it is using my seats as a scratching post and the hairballs are a real bitch! What now a cat eating mouse! Help Mighty Mouse!!!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Originally posted by BAD415:
I hate meeses to pieces! :mad:
Dang! you beat me to it! I really wanted to say that! :D My 70 had mouse nests in the the rear seat, the head liner, rocker panels, and when I took the dash apart, a bunch of seeds and crap fell out. Yuck!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I share your guys nightmares! Every year I store my cars in my unheated garage for the winter, I live in a rural location, every year I put mouse and rat bait throughout the cars, several differnt brands as well as a commercial brand from an exterminator, on top of this I put moth balls (was told it would work) throughout, and even put drier sheets throughout. To date nothing has worked, still finding mumified mice and nests under the rear seat, a cat is not an option for me. I've cleaned out the nests, sprayed everything down with frebreeze and fixed some other damage. Every fall when the weather starts to cool, the field mice make a bee line to my garage, we have both, live catch and dead catch traps that have to be cleaned out daily, but they still come in and get into the cars.
But does anyone have an answer that works, besides a cat???

·
Registered
143 Posts
wayner, I think you need to dig some sort of mote around your shop, your cleaning traps out daily? maybe trickem with a peice o crap car stored in the same general area.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well a similar thing happened to me with the headiner.I was hoping Id find my build sheet somewhere and I didnt even think about the mice getting it until a fellow TC member Troy came over to the shop to help out and we pulled the back seat out of the car and there was a big nest in each corner of the back seat well we didnt find any real proof of the build sheet there.SO I thought I still had some hope in the headliner so I took it out a couple days ago and I be darn if there wasnt another giant mouse nest in it.So I figured the used my build sheet as a sealy posterpetic.I hate those dang things,well hopefully they are gone now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I to have the same problem. Wife's worthless HOUSE cat won't even chase a piece of string, so no sense of putting it outside expecting it to earn its keep. Here's what I use, traps, drier sheets, moth balls, and those 6" by 8'super sticky pads. I was having good luck until this past winter. I now have a new thought. Put up a SOLID wall of either plywood or cardboard all around your car. It only needs to be a few feet high. Bore a few holes 1 & 2 inches in diameter on each side, at the bottom of the wall at the floor. Just inside of these holes put all of the sticky pads and traps you can afford, and BAM you got that dang varmet as soon as he enters thru that hole. Or if by chance he does make it in, chances are he won't getting out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I haven't had that many problems with mice, but cleaning up all of these dirt dauber nests is getting annoying. I've found them everywhere from on the back cover of my 12-bolt to inside of the steering wheel. There was even an entire ANT COLONY inside of my heater box!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I bought one of those California car bags. I zipped it inside and I kept rat posion fresh all winter. I opened it up a couple of time through the winter to check on it also. When I got my car out this spring I noticed that they had chewed a hole right through the bag! I found some dropping inside. I can't see where they got to anything in my car but they still got in the bag. I don't know what i am going to do next year. I've been told moth balls work best but have never used them.

·
Registered
114 Posts

I use some bounce dryer sheets. I was told that they will keep mice out. I had a real problem last year and put a box in the car with the top off. No mice....maybe they were not around as much but I didn't have any problems. Also put De-con around each tire just in case.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Bounce sheets have always worked well for me also
and if you want to catch them use peanut butter on the traps, works every time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts