Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reading another topic about dampers and they were talking about new and rebuilt ones. OK, I'm not well versed in all aspects of engines but isn't a damper just a balanced weight that spins around and should never wear out? How would one know when rebuilding an engine if the damper needs to be replaced?
Thanks in advance!

www.Jeffry72.50megs.com

·
Premium Member
16,940 Posts
I am certainy no expert other than to examine Framers 67's "damper"
, but I fail to understand their utility in a modern engine. Why dont you just use ones that are gutted but look good?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
If we are referring to the damper that hangs ont the front of the crank, I guess that they can "wear" out. They have a rubber element that is trapped between the inner and outer rings; that rubber may not last forever. It is well known that the outer ring can slip relative to the inner and good up the timing marks. So,,,putting a new rubber piece may be worth doing if the cost of a new damper is significantly higher.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have learned my lesson the hard way. If the damper is very old, replace it with a new one. A stock SBC damper is only about $60.00, replace it now or you will very probably replace it later. Even modern engines require a damper to cancel the vibrations in the reciprocating parts.

I rebuilt my 65 El Camino 327 only 13K miles ago and did not replace the damper (harmonic balancer). I just had the body work done and had the engine pulled out and decided to paint it and check it over. I bought a cover for the damper and found that the timing marks were way off. The outer ring had moved significantly. This balancer was most likely the original one for this motor.

A second occurance was on my 81 Corvette 350. Only rebuilt 35K miles ago. The outer ring actually move off the inner ring and stopped against the front of the timing cover. The timing marks are definitely off. I still have to replace this balancer. I know this is the original balancer for this engine.

------------------
Brian TC#1092, ACES#4374
My Garage
---------------------------------------------------------
1964 Malibu SS Convertible (Restored Garage Queen)
1965 El Camino (Current project)
1974 Midget (Next project, maybe)
1981 Corvette (Daily driver)

·
Premium Member
16,940 Posts
Aw geez boys, I thought he meant the dampers on the exhausts not the harmonic balancer!!!

DOH

Brian and JWagner, com'on, if someone makes a bonehard call like that, STOMP ON HIM! EVEN IF ITS ME!!!!

Sorry they are critical and I dont know how to tell if the are worn except for visual inspection or an obvious spin ( separation of the inner and outer halves). In fact I have concerns about my 25 yr old one as we speak.

Soory Jeff I thought you were on some sort of restoration kick and wondering about the exhaust dampers.

[This message has been edited by 427L88 (edited 05-01-2001).]

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Whooo Hoooo, Gene. That was a good one. I've been looking at this post all day trying to figure out what in the blankety blank blank you were talking about.

Makes this flu bug I got a little better.

------------------
-Mark TC# 717
ACES #1641
1967 Chevelle SS396/375
1967 RailVelle
1964 Chevelle 283/195
1975 Corvette 396/375

·
Registered
834 Posts
I can just see Gene at home with his new fluidamper drilling a small hole in it to drain all the fluid out and paint it up to look good before bolting it on

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Hard work MAY pay of in the long run, but laziness pays off NOW"
My Page

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.