Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am working on getting a 1971 chevelle as a project and a possible daily driver and i was wondering wat would be the best option for a daily driver? i know a 350 v8 would be the best option to keep it as muscle car and chevelle as possible at the least but i am thinking more power but weary of gas prices. so i am thinking maybe a 454 ls5 wat would be the difference in that than the ls6 454. or possibly a 350 with a 383 stroker kit is wat i am leaning toward but dont kno. wat do u think?

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
If you really want the best of both worlds I would install and OD tranny, shallow rear gears and a really low buck, i.e. torquey 454. Some of the engine builders on here have had great success with the PP heads.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
buy one of the LS F.I. motors add an overdrive automatic ... best of both worlds
Performance & Smiles per gallon :D

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
Yep, get an ls out of a wrecked car, sometimes they come with a manual trans and it would be a satisfying choice for you. Motor mounts and the rest you will need are available.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I agree, an LS1 or LS2 engine, tranny, wiring harness and ECU can probably be had from local recycle yards for $5k. If you can get an LS2 that would be ideal. 400hp/400 torque stock. A new bumpstick will probably get very close to 500 hp and idle at 600 RPM all day with the AC running and get 25 mpg on the highway.

This is my plan for the wife's '67.

FYI. SuperChevy had some nice LS1 & LS2 engine builds a few months ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts