Chevelles.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to post a comparison of today's alkaline Zinc plate verse cyanide Cadmium plate of yesteryear. Which is Zinc and which is Cadmium? :confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Cadmium on the Left and Zinc on the Right.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Other way arround !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Cadmium on the left.Reason being is that the left looks like the pictures i have of the booster on Steve's L78 little more silver than gold.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Our local plater made that change about 4 years ago.... both were Zinc dichromate? The new process is "more environmentally friendly". The new plating is very light and yellow versus the older.

Not sure if they still do Cadmium but at that time it was about double the price of the Zinc Dichromate. They generally only used the Cad for Aerospace parts and didn't like to plate dirty car parts in the cad tanks.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got my original master cylinder code BB rebuilt and re-cadmium hex chromate plated the brake booster, cylinder cover and proportioning value bracket. Getting the L-78 close to completion if thats every possible?:hurray:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,912 Posts
What's the answer? I like the appearance of the one on the right.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
The oneon the right is the Correct Finish as OEM, Cyanide Cadium, the one on the left was done by someone else in yellow zinc. I hope Steve post picts of what it looks like up close.

Jim

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
They're both wrong.

My booster is the world standard for correct finish, and it doesn't look like either one of these. Mine is silver metallic paint, and don't try to tell me mine is wrong either, because I have proof.

I know mine is right because I bought it from a guy who took it off a rare car he bought on eBay. Yep, "RARE"...all upper case too, and I have a screenshot to prove it. Not only was my car marked RARE, which is really pretty much enough by itself, but also the original owner of my one-owner car was killed in Vietnam, so I KNOW it is correct. The guy I bought the car from said the guy who he bought it from said he had a newspaper article to prove it.

So both of these boosters are wrong. :noway: they're supposed to be silver

·
Premium Member
7,124 Posts
They're both wrong.

My booster is the world standard for correct finish, and it doesn't look like either one of these. Mine is silver metallic paint, and don't try to tell me mine is wrong either, because I have proof.

I know mine is right because I bought it from a guy who took it off a rare car he bought on eBay. Yep, "RARE"...all upper case too, and I have a screenshot to prove it. Not only was my car marked RARE, which is really pretty much enough by itself, but also the original owner of my one-owner car was killed in Vietnam, so I KNOW it is correct. The guy I bought the car from said the guy who he bought it from said he had a newspaper article to prove it.

So both of these boosters are wrong. :noway: they're supposed to be silver

And not just any silver. PUFF CAN silver!

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Finally got my original master cylinder code BB rebuilt and re-cadmium hex chromate plated the brake booster, cylinder cover and proportioning value bracket. Getting the L-78 close to completion if thats every possible?:hurray:
Looks good Steve. What did you figure out on your qtr?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Yeah, PUFF CAN SILVER!

I mean, OOPS, don't give out the secret!

ahh...hmmm... <throat clearing / squeal of bullhorn >

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT on CHEVELLE FORUM: :D

it's NOT puff can, see...it's another silver color...yeah, another one that, ah...that they don't make anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts