Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 Chevelle SS would it be wise for me to cut the radio dash out to make room for the new style radio. Which i know i can still find knob style radio from company but no one makes them anymore and i like the look of the new radio and plus there power outage will make a great sound system. But do you think cutting the dash will it hurt the value of my car

·
Registered
335 Posts
if u like it CUT THE SON OF A GUNN on outta there i dang sure would cause i anit listning to my music on a tape player :rolleyes: :D

if u like it someone else will and if they wanted like that they would cut it to so just cut it

·
Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS454
1,650 Posts
Don't cut it! Yes, you will hurt the value of your car. If you want a newer modern radio, there are companies out there that make them and you can install it in a hidden location so as not to hurt the stock looking appearance. Modifications (such as bolt-ons) are no big deal to return to original but a cut dash is a hassel to fix. If you are concerned about the originality, collectibility or value of your car, don't cut it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
There is also a under the dash box made to mount newer radios with. That way you can mount a CD player and still have the dash all original. They only cost about $15.00. They look pretty good too. RichF

·
Registered
7 Posts
NO DONT CUT IT!!!!

It will bring down the value of your car!

There are plenty of companies that can build/sell you something without having to resort to cutting the dash.

My company is releasing a radio at the end of the month based on a PIONEER unit that will have a remote mount faceplate that can be mounted under the dash or over the stock radio location without cutting the dash. The main unit will contain an MP3/WMA compatible single CD player and the radio is also a CDC/ Sat Radio controller. All This and a wireless remote too. The radio will be around $300.00 when released.

If you want some ideas of what to do, here are a few links:

www.geocities.com/joesclassiccarradio
www.antiqueautomobileradio.com
www.originalcarradios.com
www.customautosound.com

My company can even build something custom for your car. Email me if you have any questions at [email protected]

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I cut mine, I had a small crack above the steering column and a gash in the clock hole anyway, plus they reproduce these now so it's not quite as big a deal.

Of course I don't plan on getting rid of my car anyway so it's value is not of concern to me, I want a car I enjoy...and that means I must have a good cd player and I don't want to mount it remotely. It's hard enough to change CDs going 70 down I30 as it is...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Originally posted by thunderstruck507:
I cut mine, I had a small crack above the steering column and a gash in the clock hole anyway, plus they reproduce these now so it's not quite as big a deal.
The repops arnt near as good as the original,so i wouldnt say it isnt a big deal because they make repos.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Or better yet save the dash out of your '71....I've got one sitting at the side of my house for a '71 with the radio hole already cut....I will give it away FREE to anyone who wants it. Just pay shipping or come and p/u in person.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I jus bought an original 69 with a great interior but no radio and a virgin dash. What are the companies that make the under dah mount?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I jus bought an original 69 with a great interior but no radio and a virgin dash. What are the companies that make the under dah mount?
I installed a modern radio in my VW Thing. Pep Boys had an installation box/kit to bolt under the dash. I think it was less than $15. They look decent with a modern radio and only have to have a few small screw holes to mount it.

Ted
King of Prussia, PA
64 Chevelle Malibu convertible
74 VW Thing
03 GMC Sierra

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
When I bought my 70 the dash was already cut for a CD player so the idiot had alreay cut it. What a huge mistake!!He wanted his cheap CD player when I bought the car so I gave it to him and bought the car for a song.I had no choice but to put a CD player in the giant hole.DONT DO IT!!!
Gerry.................

·
Registered
287 Posts
Custom Autosound makes radios that fit in the original dash openings and look somewhat like the original radios but offer tape and CD capability. I bought one for my 68 with a CD changer that mounts in a remote location. Haven't installed it yet so cannot comment on the quality. Also a company called hidden audio (or something like that) makes a radio/CD changer that mounts in the glove box/trunk etc. and is controlled with a remote control. I wouldn't cut the dash, IMO the new style radios, even though they have fantastic sound, just don't look right in these vintage cars!
Cheers
Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts