Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '70 El Camino and I went to a salvage yard today and fell in love with a 1977 Olds Cutlass Salon with a 350 engine. There was no parts taken from it besides the A/C compressor and it had minor rust in the quarters. I am debating on whether or not to buy this or save the $$$ for my Elky. The Olds was in a lot better shape than the Elky and had the original black paint job with a red interior with plush bucket seats. Should I buy it or not??

1970 Chevy Custom El Camino non-SS aka Kaileigh
136800B122947 | 11-25-69
Originally Green Mist #45 w/green vinyl top
350ci/300HP 4bbl S/B w/factory dual exhaust
Factory Rallies w/pancake hubs

·
Registered
20 Posts
Shawn

I am a Chevy man myself. The Olds 455 bolts right in, brackets etc, you might find an Olds rusted out boat with a good 455.

This would be a cheap way to some performance. Later a 454 rat
would fit with Chevy brackets & a Chevy trans.

[This message has been edited by SirVette (edited 12-22-1999).]

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a chevy lover too but thats why I needed a 2nd opinion on this car. i fell in love with the comforts of the interior.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it's a 2 door coupe Cutlass.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Shawn didja get my email about the 72 Elky parts car?

Before ya get too excited about the Olds, why does the junk yard have it? Another thing, E check, Ka Ching!!!!, at least your Elky in my area is exempt where the Olds is not. Besides, the Elky runs right?

If it was me, I'd work on the things that make the Elky safe & fun to drive that you can transplant to another Chevelle. Kinda like a drivable, future parts car (No disrecpect to Kaileigh intended).

I do know you are likely to spend more in new sheet metal (if you do not do it yourself) than anything else. Not even considering all the other work.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086

·
Registered
13,014 Posts
I have a factory 5sp '76 Cutlass S that I ordered new (it now has the original BW 5sp replaced with a Richmond). And in '88 I built an Olds 455 to replace the original smaller V8. The car is full pwr, cruise, ac, posi, makes an excellent tow car and interstate cruiser.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
659 Posts
DUDE!!! Buy the Cutty!!! I had a 77 that was originally Firethorn red with the red interior and a 350... I painted it black and eventually swapped in a 350 Chevy. I ended up getting rid of it cause the body got too bad (quarters rusted out and I couldnt find replacements). But all in all... it was a SWEET car! I hope I can find another to replace her in the future! If you dont buy it, get it for me! I'll buy it from you!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
560: The Cutlass is in a salvage yard right now but was put there in June of this year but there's nothing missing from it besides the A/C compressor and the ductthat comes out of the end of the air cleaner. I liked it because it reminded me of the Elky but had more luxuries and everything looked like it was in working order. It had bucket seats as well. Since I plan on keeping the Elky forever, and keep it when I gte married I thought if I had the Cutlass, it would be good for grocery shopping and stuff because I think it would be difficult to go grocery shopping with an Elky (no where to put the grocery bags). I was just thinking about that. There would be other uses for it too of course.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I have to say that the Cutlass was the best intermediate on the market in the mid to late 70's. GM at that time was cranking them out from a GM General Assembly Division assembly line along with Buicks (perhaps Chevelles & Lemans?)and they had a nice secure & solid feel to them. I can remember a friend's father's '77 Cutlass S with a 350 Olds that could spin the right rear tire as long as you wanted it to (don't tell him!). The sheetmetal from that era seemed to be thinner & more rust prone. What do I think would be worth more to a collector? Unequivocally the El Camino! Also, some Cutlasses from '73 - '76 used a strange, orphaned 12-bolt rear; the rest used a 10-bolt 8.5" that was involved in a recall for faulty axle shafts. you can talk to Tom Parsons (DZAUTO) about that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.