Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new aluminum dash bezel (from TC'er LVMAXX) that I am installing in my 69. I have removed the old dash harness (was way thrashed) and have a stock replacement from a donor car that is in excellent shape. I am going to be using all aftermarket guages. I have identified all the connnections / lamps on this new harness. I would like to use the Gray / dash lamp wires for the aftermarket gauge lamps, they would still be controlled from the stock lightswitch. I plan on just tieing up the un used lamp wires with bulbs removed and bulb sockets insulated. The fuel gauge connector on the dash harness has a black wire (ground) that has a large ring connector on the far end. Is this the ground for the lighter socket? I would like to keep this harness as intact as possible. Any tips for a swap like this? Can I replace the stock wiper and headlight switches with some toggle type switches? I would want to use "jumpers" to connect the new switches to the wiring harness socket. Anyone know what kind of switches would work for this? Thanks, Craig

·
Registered
87 Posts
As for the type of switches to replace the headlight and wiper switches, you can use a DPST switch, that is 'double pole single throw', Off/On, for the headlights. That will turn on both the running lights and headlights at the same time, but still be different circuits. This can be a toggle or a rocker switch. The wiper is a little different. It is a 2 speed motor. You may need a SPDT 'single pole double throw', On/Off/On for that one. Each side of the switch would go to a different wire on the wiper motor. Then there is the windshield washer. You could use a momentary switch for that one. If you decide to go this route, get a good schematic and a little assistance, and is is not so bad. Best of luck to you. Dennymac

------------------
Dennymac
'69 Elky Rebuild in process
dennymac.com

·
Registered
148 Posts
Definitely go with rocker type switches, toggles are too easy to accidentally hit.
DPST is a great idea, or you'll have too many switches everywhere. A momentary switch for the washer is a must(these come in rockers too).
By the way, make sure that you tape up the extra sockets very well so they can't make contact to any metal surfaces at all. I like to tag all wires as well and then list them on a piece of paper for future reference. Electrical supply houses have wire tags that are very small and easily read. The tags wrap around the wire and look great, be sure to tag both ends.

------------------
73 Malibu
400ci 425/470
TH700-R4, 3:42 posi
Lovin my afr 190's!

Definition of an expert: Someone who knows more and more about less and less.

[This message has been edited by Gary_E (edited 01-26-2003).]

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I was a little intimidated when I first started removing the old harness.........what a mess. Looked like it had a rough life. The wires at the headlight switch were melted, lots of cuts/ splices every where. I was looking at some previous posts and read where all electrical componets come filled with smoke, will still work if you let some smoke out, will not work if you let all the smoke out! Very little smoke remained in the old harness. Looks like a good project.........Craig

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The factory headlight switch has a circuit breaker inside. The breaker protects the wire to the dimmer switch and headlights. Switching to a straight toggle switch without adding a breaker in that line, isn't the best thing to do.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John, The breaker in the switch is the reason I am rethinking using other than stock switch. I have decided to stay with the stock switch ( going to purchase new Delco), will just fab up a new knob to match the look of the dash. Have learned alot looking through previous posts in this forum. I am sure that I will be asking many more questions in the future as I progress with the harness install and chasing down any problems. Thanks to all! Craig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts