Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find examples/tips/techniques for fabricating/installing a custom dash and panel (with new gauges). Can anyone point me towards a website that might help? I'm not having much luck with the search here on this site. I am considering customizing the interior, rather than restoring.

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
I don't know what the dash of your year car looks like.

I just tore into mine and felt my way through the fabrication. I like the way it came out. Only real tricky part was the fact that my gauge area of my dash is contoured and has a sloping bend to it. So the plate had to be flexible enough to stay flush, and the retaining screws often enough to keep things seated.

Don't hack up too much if you can help it.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
73 BOO;

You don't see much stuff available for the '73-'77 models. In fact, aren't they called the forgotten years? That's too bad, as they are unique.

Anyway, what are you looking for?

Something to add or change on your original dash?

A compete new dash?

We build and sell the '68-'69 Chevelle/El Camino Custom Aluminum Dash Bezel (Patent Pending), and are close to completing the '70-'72 version(s).

Several Team Members and local Chevelle enthusists have purchased our bezels, and to date everyone is more than satisfied.

While building our '69, we developed the '68-'72 Custom Aluminum Dash (Yes, complete from side to side).

Pics and descriptions will be posted on this site by the end of this week.

We will also offer other years, and may have found a donor car for your year and model.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking for a total custom job. I have seen several in magazines and at car shows. LVMAXX, do you have a website where I can see some of the finished projects?

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
The website is being built by Robert McIntosh (Dale's son), and the registered domain name is-

lvmaxxnme.com

As soon as we finish the pics of the newest dash, we'll post them on this site/subject.

You can see the '68-'69 Instrument Bezel by looking up our name LVMAXX in the showroom.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Originally posted by robando:
Any plans for '65 Dashes in the future? I've been looking everywhere for custom billet dashes for my 65 SS.

--rO

P.S. - Do the Dashes have space in them for modern-day stereo systems?
The '64-65, and '66-'67 dash inserts are quite small (We have a '65 for a pattern), therefore, there isn't much space for a modern-day stereo system.

However, if you decided on a complete aluminum dash (Side to side), you could install almost anything you wanted.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have seen a '65 dash on hanline.com but they really don't have a guage arrangement I'm interested in. I'm hoping to have a pretty standard 6 guage setup but I'm really set on having a nice setup for a modern day stereo head unit integrated in the dash.

I might have to buy a blank dash and have the guage holes custom done. We'll see what I find. Most of the things I've seen online are very similar to those available on hanline.com

thanks for the info though,

--rO

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
"Custom" generally means "one of a kind". So when you want a "custom" dash panel, you really should design one exactly as what you want.

If you don't have the creativity to design your own, you need to find an artist to create something that you find appealing.

If it's available as a mass-marketed item to the public, it's not truly "custom".

That said, Richard and Judy (LVMAXX) offer a very nice product. I say that as a guy who doesn't buy into anything mass marketed being called "custom".

Custom Fabrication is not a foreign concept to me.

(Have I chosen the wrong line of work?)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to do as much research BEFORE I rip into building a custom dash/interior. I would also like to hear of any potential problems I may run into. Ultimately, I plan to design and fabricate a completely custom dash. I was hoping to get ideas for the configuration/placement of gauges, stereo head units, etc. I can learn a lot from the tips I learn here. I am confident that I can do the job, but reluctant to jump into it without having a plan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CJ, I like that you created the panel, but kept the dash pad (birch instrument panel). One of the things I don't like about most of the custom jobs I have seen is the lack of shape. Almost all of them are flat and straight. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'm not really happy with my birch dash panel. It was just an easy means to an end (in my case). Definitely not what I want as an end product.

That said, I want to build a custom aluminum dash bezel that has a removable instrument panel. This way I can drill a panel for whatever gauges I want without building a new bezel for each combination I think of.

I just got the proper liner for my mig gun, so I should be able to start fabricating a new dash bezel in the near future.

Again, the birch dash is just a redneck's way of getting by until I can get what I really want. The angle of the gauges is far from optimum for an accurate read.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
73 BOO, I'd have to agree with BB_Mike. You have come up with a design and go ahead and try it. If you could get a hold of a old dash that would make things alot easier. I got a old Monte dash a cut out the gauge area and welded up a insert to bolt into place. Heres a link to the finished pics http://camnick.home.att.net/dash.htm . Good luck.

C.C.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good Camnick!

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Go To-

68-72 CHEVELLE/EL CAMINO "RACEDASH" under Interiors for this new product.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
do you guys have a template like where the holes go and how deep it is htanks

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Here is one I did this past winter for my 71 Velle.

I used a cardboard template, then a thin plastic one...then cut it out of Lexan. I then sprayed the back side smoke grey to match the rest of my dash. Added the Autometer gauges and the idiot lights. Didn't cost too much either!!!!
Brian

·
Registered
484 Posts
The dash that inspired me to do a custom in my '65 was this one from an article in the April 2003 issue of Car Craft.

http://www.robando.net/images/cc_dash.jpg

This one was custom made by the owner of this beautiful '65 but it is very similar to what I'm looking for. The only thing that I'd do differently is incorporate a spot for a modern stereo head unit. I was thinking that if you moved the smaller guages up as far as you could on that config you might be able to fit a head unit under them. Then again I do need to put the AC vent somewhere. Anyway...it's a work in progress. I just thought I would share.

--rO

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chelk, I like it
It looks like the easiest way to go is to just replace the front panel, but keep the dash. I think I like that better since it keeps the original shape. Nice job!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts