Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The LED readout in my Autosound radio is so weak that it can't be read at all in the daylight. Is this an inherent problem with these units. Anybody with the same problem? I will send back if others are working fine. Thanks and have a Happy New Year.....................

------------------
Rick Clark
Hermiston,OR
70 SS-454
GOLD #208

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Well I have two of them and can't see anything on any of them.

------------------
CFR.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red 70:
The LED readout in my Autosound radio is so weak that it can't be read at all in the daylight. Is this an inherent problem with these units. Anybody with the same problem? I will send back if others are working fine. Thanks and have a Happy New Year.....................

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno about the custom autosound, but if we are talking about the little lcd screen then, in all of my cars, no matter the make or model of the stereo they are very difficult to see when the sun is hitting the screen if you can see it at all, so I would say its normal.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Im not familiar specifically with that radio, but some aftermarket units have a wire thats hooked to your parking light and/or headlight wiring, so that when your light are on, the display on the radio is a little dimmer (for night driving) If there is such a wire, make sure you dont have it hooked to 12v continuous, that would make the display dimmer all the time. But I doubt thats your problem, from what others are saying. I have a Sony in my camaro and a Clarion in the chevelle, and I can see them both fine in the daylight, for what its worth.....John

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the USA6 in my 67 and it's tough to see the diplay during the day. Also, the lens with the fake frequency numbers doesn't help.

------------------
Rusty
"God, give me patience...and please hurry"
67 Chevelle SS396
Big Block Bliss
TC# 1139

·
Registered
35 Posts
In my opinion...I would return the LED style and get an analog dial type. I have the Autosound LED style in my 67 Chevelle and have been annoyed with it since it was new. There are two reasons:
1. You can not see the display very well.
2. I disconnect the battery after each use (I use the car infrequently) and it erases the presets and defaults to a non-existant station. I have to reset it every time I drive the car. I believe that Autosound has an analog type, if they don't carry one I would consider someone else who does.
Again, this is just my opinion....

Best regards,

Glenn

·
Registered
123 Posts
Rick,

I have a Custom Autosound USA-5 radio with the 6-stack CD unit. I think you are going to have to live with the dim LED if you keep the radio. The first unit I bought had no visible LED, even at night. I took the unit to Autosound and watched the technician check it out. I got a replacement radio because the LED was bad, but the new one has a very dim display that can only be seen at night. For a '65, I didn't have any option for an in-dash radio without enlarging the opening in the bezel, but the company makes a Kenwood clone that is a good radio and has a good display, but I think it only fits '68 and up. Otherwise, I have no complaints about the Autosound radio. My experience is that the company has good customer service relations, so you might give them a call and see if there is some fix for the LED problem.

Rod

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.