Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 64 elky, i replaced the sealed beams with halogens, now the lights cycle on and off when on high beam. can anyone tell me what the amperage would be with these halogens.i understand there is a 30 amp breaker in the light switch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
a good cure for this headlamp problem is to install a couple of relays in the wiring sys. I think Painless Wiring company offers these kits to upgrade your lighting sys.youll find this either in Jegs or a Summit catalog.

J

·
0 Posts
I just changed over to halogen bulbs this weekend (11/14/98). A big improvement in visibility.
My 67 El Camino is a daily driver, and with it getting dark earlier I am doing a lot more driving with the lights on ..............should I expect charging system problems? I'm sure there are a lot more of you that switched to the halogen bulbs. What pros or cons have you experienced?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll back up what Bob Tiley said. I have also had halogen headlamps in my '69 for a couple of years and I have never had any problems. They are much brighter than stock.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I also have halogen headlights (4) in my 69 El Camino with no problems. I also changed to internal regulated alt. Very simple and cheap change. About $10 plus alt. which I got from PEP BOYS for $29. They don't even check to see if your core is the same kind, or they don't care.

·
Administrator
3,371 Posts
There are a lot of different varieties of Halogen lights. If they are the 'real' high output style you need to add a relay as the current draw is too much for the factory system and the circuit breaker will pop after you've been on 'high' for a little while. If you just have the halogen replacements (with the non-replaceable bulbs) then it's not an issue - but still an improvement.
I live in deer country (unreal deer country) and early evening driving means 'all eyeballs at the windshield'..... I'm not sure I can explain just how 'serious' it is around here.... whap, whap, all the time to bambi.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I believe your question refered to amp draw so this is close. Say you buy a light rated at 75 watts, devide 75 by 13.5 volts=5.56 amps. So figure about 6.0 amps per lamp

Jim

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.