Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my previous problems with my charging system...i figured my problem was my stock ext. regulator. So i today i bought a cs130 type 108 amp alt. and chucked my ext. regulator. I installed it per the tech article on this site... but my battery still seems to not be charging (i ran the car for 15 minutes and my battery is still dead.) So i am wondering about the 'resistor' brown wire that comes from the idiot light to the alternator.

1-could i have got the wrong connector(resited or no-resisted?)

2-could this cause my charging problem?

3-what are some simple multi-meter tests to do?

Sorry for the long post, but i'm kinda stuck. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If you changed the connector and it fits in, that part is ok.
Sometimes replacement connectors have different color wires than Wes refers to. Sure you have it wired right?
Is the idiot light on or off? If the alternator is not running it should be on.
What voltage do you see on the blue/brown field wire when you measure it to ground with the car running?
Want to suggest to flash the alternator but don't want to suggest that unless the thing is hooked up right.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, after reading your post, I went and re-checked my connections at the alternator and it turns out that the old short had toasted about a 1/2 inch of the tip of the red battery-to-alt wire so that it was unuseable. I clipped it off then stripped it and re-crimped it... now the idiot is off and i'm reading round 14v at the bat unlike the previous 11v or so.

Thanks for the help in getting my wiring fixed!-
Luke

[This message has been edited by chevelleman71 (edited 01-15-2003).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts