Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cs130 (105 AMP) Alternator I keep reading past posts about these guys and how they have internal regulators and alot of amps. YUM! I did a search for parts at Kragen.Com and I couldnt find a thing. Does anyone have a part number for this? Or a good price? Or anything easy to install with an internal regulator? Thanks a million!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I read more posts, I guess these are from the 80's chevy trucks they started the CS convert. instead of the si alternators which werent enough power. When I do find one, they run the fatter belts dont they, which means new fan and mountings?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, yet another post from me, I found a reman. cs130 in great shape for only $75 which is a steal compared to the nearing $150 at NAPA, which i found out who carries it. Yeah, Definately a bigger belt size, I guess I would need a new fan and not sure what else, what type of fan though? Since id be using a cs130 alternator, which isnt made exactly for a chevelle, am i going to have to buy some odd fan and misc. parts? Or is that a simple chevelle upgrade, never toyed with fans...... hope someone is out there
:eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think im just going crazy at this point. How about this idea.... Can I use my old si stock alternator's pulley and put it on the new cs130? So i dont have to convert my belts? Or is that bad news and or not even work.... ? Ok im hitting the sack. Thanks for listening to all my posts.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
I think you can, I would certainly take the pulleys off and see if they can be switched.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would i not be getting enough pull from a small belt on a new higher amped alt. ? I dont want to switch the pulleys and get myself into trouble or burn this thing out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Phil
I had one installed on my 454,I got mine from the U-pull it in Baltimore,New rebuilt $20.it fit just like the old SI,I had a problem with getting the unit excited because I don't have idiot lights.So I put the 10SI back on.There is wiring diagrams and other info on this site(tech referance I belive) www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html
The V-belt pulley will fit.

-Kid

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Phil,
Your stock pulley will work with the CS130 alt. Just swap them from your 10SI to the CS alt. Be sure and run a 10 or 8 gauge wire from the output terminal on your CS to the junction block as these do put out significantly more amps than the 10SI alts. Don't run a solid core wire, hit up the stereo shops in your area for some quality wire.

Originally posted by TonawandaKid:
I had a problem with getting the unit excited because I don't have idiot lights.So I put the 10SI back on.There is wiring diagrams and other info on this site(tech referance I belive) www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html
The V-belt pulley will fit.

-Kid
Steve (Kid),
In my research on this swap I do remember an option for the "gauge" guys to excite the alt. You could use a resistor wire to the "L" terinal or run at least a 35 ohm 1/2 watt inline resistor (100 ohm 1 watt preferred), but (NEVER DO THIS) never run 12V to the L terminal as it will fry your new alt!!

Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
perfect! Ok cool, yeah I'll pick up some good 8 guage wire. Which of the existing wire is kept in this convert? I have some beaty little yellow/ green and the power/red I believe on the harness.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I found a similar alternator that is a 100amp instead of the cs-103. It has a built in regulator, and is half the price of the cs103, could i throw it on basically the same way?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Steve,
Just checking here. Did you happen to get the money for the alternator bracket that you sent me? I sent it out last week, the monday after I got the bracket to be exact. Let me know if you didn't!

Originally posted by pnutkemist:
Well I found a similar alternator that is a 100amp instead of the cs-103. It has a built in regulator, and is half the price of the cs103, could i throw it on basically the same way?
Would this happen to be a 12SI alternator? They are rated from the factory at 94 amps. A lot of guys run them on here. They have a plastic fan on them and yes you can run them on our cars.

Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.