Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might buy a 72 from the Pittsburg PA area and drive it home to So. Cal. I will want cruise control for the "flight" home. Can someone make a suggestion for a Chevy kit or an aftermarket kit that works well and looks good?

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
I'm short on time now. I have to go to my mom's and mow the yard. I will get back on later about this.

------------------

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
OK Dale I'm back from mowing and here is my input. You can buy good, dependable, universal, add on cruise units. And I guess they will work forever. That takes care of half your question (at one time years ago you could buy a kit from Chev Parts dept that contained the same parts as a factory installation. Probably not anymore). I added "factory" cruise a few months ago to my wifes 70 conv and it looks like the best I have ever seen. We went to the biggest salvage yard in Okla City and took parts off of several 70s Chevs until we had more than enough to install a complete factory setup. On a 72, the servo and transducer mount side by side on the left inner fender. I got a servo that attaches to one of the threaded holes on the back side of the left head. It helped make a cleaner installation. If you choose to go with this option, get EVERYTHING. You will need only one extra speedo cable (I got 3 diff lengths) to go from the tranny to the transducer. The existing speedo cable in the car can be disconnected from the tranny and made into a big U to attach to the other location on the transducer. It will work fine, I have done this on 2 cars, no problem. The vacuum and electric switches for the brake pedal have retainers that push into the bracket, THE BRACKET WILL BE PRE-WELDED ON A 72 FROM THE FACTORY, so don't forget them. If you can't get the turn signal lever with the cruise button, it is still available from Chev (it's expensive!). Be sure to get vacuum hoses and fittings from several cars and be sure to get a good wiring harness. Get 2 or 3 different length adjustable rods between the carb and the servo and the stud off of a carb. This sounds like a hassle and it is. But if you go this way and clean all the parts and install it properly, it will look like Chev installed it and it will work great. The cussing and busted knuckles were worth it.

------------------

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you were in a hurry you could go to a junk yard and get one off of a dodge, they are pretty simple to hook up. the older ones have a better switch and the newer cars have a main unit and cable that are easier to hook up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.