Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get a complete cruise control setup for my 70 SS LS5 turbo 400, (I'm told this option is available on AT only), what components are necessary? I've had a few opportunities to purchase, but I'm not sure what all I should be looking for. Does anyone have a complete setup for sale? Please give me some direction I've looked in most of my books but can't find much info?!
Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I had an original 72 setup and it had these parts from what I can remember..

Signal lever with built switch for on/off..
transducer on inner fender with throttle cable to carb and vacuum lines.
short speedo cable to transducer.
speedo cable from transducer to transmission.
wiring harness
extra pin on carb to take the cable from the transducer..

70 may be different, but this is the only factory setup I ever found, complete untouched so Im sure it will be similar.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
126 Posts
there are a few differences between a 70 and a 71-72 setup. first the control switch is physically different, then the vacuum canister is also different, a 70 model used a small chain, kinda like a pull chain for a light, to hold the carb's position, in 71-72, it had a vacuum canister mounted to the inner fender then a cable runs from that to a mount at the rear of the carb, then attaches to the throttle. A 71-72 will work, but it just doesn't look correct.

·
Registered
368 Posts
weister
You'll also need a servo and the brackets to mount the regulator and servo. Look at K30 in your Factory Assembly Manual. It's all laid out there.
If you need a Factory Assembly Manual, check with Dan Bower at:
http://www.factoryautomanuals.com/

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 11-20-99).]

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
Weister,
After we got the 70 conv, my wife and I went to a big salvage yard (Pull Apart) in Okla City and went through the rows of Chevys pulling off cruise parts until we had more than enough parts to install a complete factory setup. You want to be sure to get all the little things such as clips, brackets, the switches and switch retainers under the dash for the brake pedel. The early Chevelles had the servo (vacuum pod that pulls on the throttle) mounted on the inner fender beside the transducer. The one we used is the type that mounts to a bracket which attaches behind the left head. Its more practical, looks better, dosen't clutter up under the hood so much and looks like Chevrolet installed it at the factory. Most of the parts came from mid-70s Chevys. Our 70 now has a perfect factory type cruise.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.