Team Chevelle banner

Crower Solid Roller, Initial treatment...

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Steve69SS396 
#1 ·
What are you guys doing with your solid rollers when you first install them?

The reason I ask is because I originally intended on soaking them in some mineral spirits before soaking them in motor oil and then installing them.

Well, my Crowers came with a card that says DO NOT wash the lifters before you install them. Something about taking some coating off the roller.

What is the proper treatment? Especially for Crower brand.

Thanks.

Jim

#3 ·
My thinking was maybe they meant something else when they say "wash".
Like do not use a detergent. That would leave it open to something like mineral spirits.

The lfters have fuzz and other particles stuck to them from the cardboard box. Who knows whats in the lifter body oil passages. I don't feel comfortable just soaking them in oil right out of the box.

That's why I'm rasing the point. This (in my mind) is the most failure prone piece of the engine. I don't want any doubt in my mind.

#4 ·
I don't normally use the Crowers but with Isky I soak them in solvent, rinse real good & drop them into a can of oil for at least a few hours, usually overnight.
If they say not to wash them call & ask how the hell you are supposed to get the crap off of them
I do not have enough faith in any out of the box part to just stick it in without cleaning so I know what I would do ;)

#7 ·
I've been running Crower solid roller lifters in my small block for years. I pulled them out of the box, wiped off any fibers from the box, slathered them in redline assembly lube and dropped them in the block.

I put more than 10,000 miles on one set of lifters with a .630" lift cam.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.