Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right here is the problem. I have a 81 Malibu, im putting 3" dual exhaust in it, it doesn't have a dual hump crossmsmber, has anyone with the 78-81, or 78 later elcamino's, or malibu's ever done this. Id like some help on places or people i could get in touch with.,

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
OK, this is what I did for a 78 El Camino to be able to install 3 inch exhaust on a BB. I fabricated a new crossmember from a 71 Chevelle crossmember. This is how: Put my car up on a lift and put a trans jack under the trans bearly lifting. Unbolted the trans mount and the existing cossmember. Knocked out the existing crossmember, making sure the trans/engine did not move. The crossmember mounting location on the driver side of the 78 up A/G body does not extend far enough back to mount a new crossmember that will be square across both frame rails. You will need to extend it about 10 inches. I welded two pieces of angle to make the extension instead of box tubing. I did not feel like I could get a substantial weld with the tubing. Place one piece of 1.5 inch angle on top of each side of the crossmember mounting on the frame, then place the Chevelle crossmember under the tranny using long bolts to get your alignment right. Mark it, take it down, cut it and weld it. Put it back up, bolt it to the tranny, clamp it to the frame, drill your holes and bolt it to the frame. Works good, looks good, last a long time.

------------------
Mike Crosby
MCC #349 ACES #2334, TC Gold #64

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I was going to extend the mounting for the driver side, but it seemed like to much work for right now, later on i'll probally do that, you can actually get a extension off of a caprice, or pontiac parieseane. it uses the same style except the crossmember is straight across, again thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.