Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished my steering column swap and I ended up with the steering wheel about 90 degrees off ( the spokes are vertical instead of horizontal on the wheel)...am I missing something? To my knowledge there is only one way the intermediate shaft will go in there, the rag joint only goes on one way and there is only one grove in the columns splines for the pinch bolt to go. What gives? Am I going to have to take it to an alignment shop to get them to correct it? is there a way to turn the collar where the horn spring goes so that the steering wheel will line up correctly?

Help this sucks! (Yeah I can live with it but...)

------------------
Brian

1970 Chevelle Malibu

Pics of My 70
Mechanic's Mathematics - Software to do Automotive Calculations
AutoBinder - Software to store information about your car

·
Registered
834 Posts
Pull the steering wheel off, turn 90 degrees and put it back on??? Mine goes on the splines any way I want so I have to make sure to line it up every time I put it back on.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Because of my velle, i'm broke, cut, bruised, tired, dirty, sweaty, and loving EVERY minute of it"
My Page

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
When I pulled off my steering linkage I managed to re-install it about 25 degrees off. Thus causing my steering wheel to be at an angle.

Re-aligning the wheel to the steering shaft is very simple. you will need a special tool that you can rent from most any local parts shop. You first park the car with a 'KNOWN to be correct' position of the steering wheel (i.e. how ever the wheel is turned, as long as the car goes straight). Then you pop the cover and use the tool to press off the wheel.

It also uses teeth to align itself up. So you get it the closest you can and use the nut to press it back on.

took me 1 hour because I put it on crooked the first time. Hence the capital (screeming) letter usage.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, TH400, 3.73 posi,
13.1sec @ 105 MPH (poor 2.1 sixty foot and rookie tuning)
--will be racing at Chevellebration 2001!--
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

[This message has been edited by BB_Mike (edited 06-05-2001).]

·
Gold Founding Member
63,813 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf80:
Mine goes on the splines any way I want so I have to make sure to line it up every time I put it back on.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't the cancelling cam have a horn wire connection that sticks up through a hole in the lock plate and through a hole in the steering wheel
the lock plate will only go on one way which dictates where the wheel is in relation to the shaft I thought

If the wheel goes on anyway you want it how would the horn connection align with the hole in the wheel and how would the turn signals ever turn off at the correct time if you put the wheel on different

just curious

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69

ACES/Midwest Chevelle Regionals

A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It ALL moves when you move the steering wheel. It is easy to remove the wheel with a wheel puller (some you can wiggle off) a phillips screw driver and a socket (dont remember size...maybe 13/16th?) Everything should work fine when replacing the wheel.

Scott

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I'm a little lost here now...

More info: I am using the 4 spoke steering wheel from a mid-seventies camaro. The collar for the horn goes through a hole drilled in the steering wheel...it will only go on one way.

BB_Mike are you talking about removing the lockplate? I need a little more info... Are you talking about pulling the steering wheel then pulling the lockplate then moving something around??

------------------
Brian

1970 Chevelle Malibu

Pics of My 70
Mechanic's Mathematics - Software to do Automotive Calculations
AutoBinder - Software to store information about your car

·
Super Moderator
13,013 Posts
The other thing to keep in mind here, is that when the steering wheel is centered, the steering box should also be at the center of its travel. This is particularly important on a car with power steering. The box has to be centered at the same time as the wheel, or it will be constantly "fighting" itself when driving down the road.
Turn the wheel all the way to one side, then count how many turns it takes to get to the other stop. Put the wheel exactly in the center and that should be a good starting point. That should be the position where the wheel is "straight" Forget about which way the wheels are pointing at this time, the alignment shop can correct that part.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Bad news! ya just cant adjust the steering wheel that much, the horn connection as mentioned above comes up into the wheel and only has a small amount of adjustment available in the lock plate. You cant move the lockplate, as it is splined to fit only one way. The best way to do it is to have the steering column centered (there is a line scribed on the shaft behind the horn cover so you know which way is up and the steering box should also be at center at this point
) and then adjust the tie rods sleeves to center the wheels. Yep, alignment will be in order and actually an alignment shop should be able to do this for you. That is how I would do it anyway.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Brian, did you take the pitman arm off the steering gear? Could be off a little there. Can't remember if it only goes on one way.

------------------
KJ
I don't make rules I just play the game!
1968 Chevelle

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
It seems odd to me, but then again, I have all 66 chevelles, but...

if the wheel can spin completely (3 turns lock-to-lock, etc.), why can't the horn piece just be rotated to any position and the same for the wheel. I know on the older cars this is easy, but there is no lock mechanism, but I still can't see how that would prevent this...

------------------
Tony
1966 SS L78 coupe
1966 SS convertible
1965 Impala convertible
1 wife that has drawn the line...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status