Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of sprial wound Accel plugs (HEI) and even though there are directions -- this rock (me) needs help.
1. How tight should I crimp them? Is it ok if I crimp the cr#% out of them?
2. Does the core go all the way up to the connector? What if it touches the connector?
At this point I wish I had bought a "ready made set. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Skier__Bob "The Rock"

------------------

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,972 Posts
If they gave you a little crimping tool, use it and pinch it together in a vise til it meets. Or, look at some stock plug wires to see how the crimp is.

Strip about 3/4" insulation off the wire, fold the core over the end and put on/crimp the terminal. The core should just about stick out the back end of the terminal. The core should make good contact with the terminal or the spark will arc from the core to the terminal and burn the whole thing up.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom,

Thanks. I've almost got it. How close should the folded over core be to the part of the terminal that connects to the distributor cap? Should the wire be inserted all the way into the terminal so that the folded over core touches the part that connects to the distributor? Or should there be a slight gap between the end of the wire and the part of the terminal that connects to the distributor? THANKS AGAIN.

------------------

·
Registered
26 Posts
I run the cable about 1/8 to 3/16 past the crimp point and crimp the cable just to where it digs in so it won't slip off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.