Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am in the process of working my way through a manual to power steering upgrade. My engine is a 283 with short water pump. From the way things are going, it looks like I will need to swap my 2 track crank pulley for a 3 track to make the alignment work. I have an old assembly manual, and it looks like the outer most track is for the power steering belt, but it looks smaller in diameter than the inner two tracks. Is this true? Does the crank pulley diameter have to be kept equal to the power steering pump pulley diameter to maintain a 1:1 ratio? Need to know this before I begin my crank pulley hunt.

Thanks in advance, Bill

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
My 66 has PS and the crank pulley is the same size as the others. 3 pulleys are correct. BTW, if you need them try the Chevy dealer. I needed to replace my crank pulleys and they were $30 at the local junk yard, used, of course. $28 new from Chevorlet.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bill, all you need to do is use the crank pulley you already have and then add the crank power steering driver pulley which sits inside your existing pulley and bolts through it into the balancer. Pulley # you need is 3751232. Still available thru chevy I believe, or if you want a good used one drop me a note. Got a couple extras.........GT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pat and GT, Thanks for the help. I ordered the pulley from my Chevy dealer today, and should have it Monday. Price was 29.75. Thanks again for the great information.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.