Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, let me preface this by saying it might be a stupid question, but I figure I might as well ask anyway............

Has anyone ever heard of mounting an MSD crank trigger setup underneath a low mount alternator and bracket?

I know it sounds dumb, but with the motor plate on my car, mounting the crank trigger to the plate and the alternator/bracket on top of that gives me a couple of things........

All the wiring can be combined and come up in one harness

Makes things more compact with both the trigger and alternator in one area

The crank trigger is the perfect thickness with the supplied spacers to line the belts up

The only thing I could see being a problem is possibly the alternator turning with the belt causing an accuracy problem with the trigger.

Any feedback is welcomed as I have never seen this before but is seems like an ok idea if there are no negative side affects. Let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks!

Tony

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NOt sure exactly what you are saying but you do NOT want to loom crank trigger wires and any alternator wires together. You want them as far apart as possible. You will get noise into your RPM input.

Well that makes sense..............I knew I was missing something here...........that's all I would have needed was to introduce some interference and screw something up.

Thanks again and I'll just mount it on the passenger side.............

Tony

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Plus, I'm thinking the alternator has to turn faster than crank speed...no?? :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tony,
The mounting setup will work fine, there is a car at work with the exact same setup.
Since as you mentioned the spacers are the same thickness.

What you need to watch is that since the crank trigger magnet wheel has a thickness and mounts under the alternator drive pulley on the crank, you will have to space the alternator out that thickness.

So, take the alternator spacers (mounts) and that you are not using, cut them down to the thickness of the magnet wheel, and use them under the alternator bracket to space it out.

Wire it so the trigger wires are not anywheres near anything thar can interfere with them. The alternator wire should be a pretty heavy gauge wire also, i'm using 4ga, a bit heavy but works fantastically.
Brian.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tony,
The mounting setup will work fine, there is a car at work with the exact same setup.
Since as you mentioned the spacers are the same thickness.

What you need to watch is that since the crank trigger magnet wheel has a thickness and mounts under the alternator drive pulley on the crank, you will have to space the alternator out that thickness.

So, take the alternator spacers (mounts) and that you are not using, cut them down to the thickness of the magnet wheel, and use them under the alternator bracket to space it out.

Wire it so the trigger wires are not anywheres near anything thar can interfere with them. The alternator wire should be a pretty heavy gauge wire also, i'm using 4ga, a bit heavy but works fantastically.
Brian.

Brian,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it........I almost just asked you but I didn't figure you had a car at your shop with this setup as I've never seen anyone run it before. Do you have easy access to a pic of setup? I would just like to see it and how everything else is tied together up front.

Thanks!

Tony

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Tony,

closest thing i got is this one:

I ended up putting motor plates on this car, and the same setup worked out fine with a little trimming.

I know what you're refering to, and yes, it will work

What you're talking about sounds alot like my current setup:

Except with a crank trigger under the alternator bracket, along with a motor plate. you may find that you need to trim the sleeves that the alternator mounts on and/or make a spacer for under the crank pulley......along with possibly having to trim the motor plate for the alternator.

can you post a pic of the motor plate setup??

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tony,

closest thing i got is this one:

I ended up putting motor plates on this car, and the same setup worked out fine with a little trimming.

I know what you're refering to, and yes, it will work

What you're talking about sounds alot like my current setup:

Except with a crank trigger under the alternator bracket, along with a motor plate. you may find that you need to trim the sleeves that the alternator mounts on and/or make a spacer for under the crank pulley......along with possibly having to trim the motor plate for the alternator.

can you post a pic of the motor plate setup??
Brian,

Thanks as always for the pics. I'm running the same setup you have, except mine is for a BBC of course. East Coast Electric correct? LOL

In mock-up, everything appears to fit fine, except I did have to trim the motor plate so the alternator would fit. The car is pushed in the corner of the garage right now. I'll see if I can't move it around over the weekend and take a few pics. My motor plate is huge in the fact it anchors to the frame/rollcage in 6 places and covers most of the front of the motor. I think it's made by Art Morrison if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks!

Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts