Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I'm FINALLY driving the '67 it seems the ignition switch is sorta sticky and also loose in the dash. Is there a trick to tightening it up? I shot some graphite in there hoping to ease up the action, but it still seems to stick as well. Do I just buy a new key switch, and from where, or is there a way to get it back in shape? I don't think it's been replaced in 22 years...

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
Indianapolis,IN www.iquest.net/~bharold/chevelle/

·
Registered
336 Posts
Tom, I have seen those key cyllinders for sale in OPG and the Paddok. FWIW, it should be a snap to replace it. The old one could jam on you and leave you stranded. You should only need the key cyllinder not the actual ign switch.

------------------
Frank W
Melrose MA
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
hometown.aol.com/folingo/folingo.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frank,
You hit the nail on the head. While I was working on the motor a few days ago it DID stick on! Fortunately the motor was not operating properly and would not fire and keep running, so I was able to shut it down with no damage, just a second of panic! So, ounce of prevention being what it is...
Thanks.

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
Indianapolis,IN www.iquest.net/~bharold/chevelle/

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi Tom,
I recently bought a new ignition switch for my '67 from OPG. It wasn't expensive and was easy to change. If the switch is original (or just old) it may not spring back from the start position, like you described. I didn't get a new lock cylinder, although they're available. I just got the switch and used the old lock cylinder. If your switch is loose, you should be able to tighten the ring that holds the lock in the dash. That'll eliminate that problem.

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
'67 Malibu Street Machine
"Under Construction"
Gold #43
I've heard that the memory is the second thing to go.
I don't remember what the first thing is!?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.