Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Im looking to upgrade the suspension on a frame off build and I think Im going to go with UMI Stage 2.5 kit with Viking Coilovers. At first I also thought I wanted to go with Speedway Motors 2" drop spindles but then I saw this C5 big brake kit from CPP which uses stock height spindles: 1964-1972 Chevelle C5 Big Brake Kit, Black Calipers

Question 1: Given that the Viking coilovers are height adjustable, am I going to lose some critical geometry upgrades by NOT going with 2" drop spindles? Based on what Ive read I could lower the front end 1-3" with the coilovers so the same ride height should be possible either way.

Question 2: What is the recent quality of CPP brake systems? I have tried to google but there are not many reviews around there, Ive read 1-2 good experiences and then there is 1 video in youtube uploaded week ago where the hubs have come loose after 300 miles...

I guess if I chose to go with Speedway 2" drop spindles I can choose whatever brake system that fits stock disc spindles, but what would be a good brand to go with then? I dont think I want to put expensive Wilwoods for a daily driver non-track car, also the replacement parts here in Finland are not easily accessible. Id have to order replacements from US (shipping costs....)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
CPP C5 uprights/spindles are fine, I wouldn’t use their brake kit. Get OE C5/C6 brake components and C7
x tracker hubs.(SKF BR931002) Look into Rockauto’s website.
If you’re into better handling the CPP C5 uprights are 8 1/4 tall or about a 1/2 inch short from optimal. Using .5 tall upper Howe ball joints puts you in best position.
You can match that with a SPC adjustable upper control arm. If you want to be able to adjust the castor/camber.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought the CPP spindles and used all OEM style/replacement parts to finish out the brakes/hubs. I already had SPC control arms so I just bought the Spring/shock kit from UMI. The AC Delco FW412 hubs are $100 each on amazon prime and don't have all the ABS components in them. Spindles, hubs, calipers, rotors, pads ran me just over $1100. Would've been cheaper but I didn't have any cores for the calipers.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I'd advise giving CPP a call before ordering their kit and letting them know what your plans are. There are a bunch of the parts that can be upgraded. I ended up destroying the hub and found out there are stronger versions available.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
I think these new spindles that use stock C5 sealed bearing hubs is a great idea. I have done the conversion with modified Chevelle drum brake hubs. This is a better idea.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I agree it's a great idea, but it seems like the Chevelle needs something better than the stock C5 hubs if you're driving the car hard (autocross/road course). The stock ones held up great until a couple autocross and road course days. The hubs got jiggly and had some play in them. I found stronger aftermarket hubs. I found out later that CPP offers a bunch of upgrades to the package (and I'd recommend upgrading the hubs).

I also took out the rotors - cracks between the drilled holes. Think I need to avoid drilled ones if I'm racing.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You need the C7 hubs (x tracker bearings) they are the best hub bearings available. I posted the part number for them earlier.
The standard hub uses taper bearings
Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology Parallel

·
Registered
Ryan
649 Posts
You be better off getting a c5 or c6 kit from KORE3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I looked Kore3 but doesnt it need that very expensive AFX spindle-hub system?

Jason, what spindle could I use with that C7 hub you linked? And you mean I could use whatever replacement C5/6 rotors and calipers with it? Those UMI control arms do have the taller ball joints btw

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I used the CPP c5/6 spindles on my car with the c7 x tracker hubs, Howe .5 tall upper ball joints. With factory calipers, rotors and pads.
Yes the CPP spindles will allow you to use factory parts or whatever factory replacements you can get your hands on.
c5/6/7 hubs are all interchangeable. SKF xtrackers are the highest performance one available.My rotors are non cross drilled/ non slotted. My calipers have no corvette logo. Umi front uppers are good also. I use Umi full roto, in the rear of my car good stuff.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
How does your car handle, liking it? Is the steering geometry improved from stock?
I love how it drives and handles very smooth and precise. The alignment shop guy took it for a test ride after the alignment and said he didn’t realize how well a old car could feel. He said it feels better then his BMW M5. He called me out there and put it on a lift just to look at the rest of the suspension he was impressed.
My setup is the c5/6 brakes kore3 rear brackets.
CPP c5 spindles/uprights
Stock steering arms (put the tie rod at the correct angle towards instant center)
C7 hubs x tracker
Hydroboost braking system
Hellwig PT front sway bar
SPC upper front control arms .5 tall Howe ball joint
UMI front lower control arms standard Howe ball joint
Ridetech adjustable coil overs
Lee power steering box 12:1
Homemade chromoly frame horn tie bar front and rear across the shock towers.
rear is UMI adjustable uppers / boxed lowers full roto joints ( made a unbelievably difference with the full roto’s)
Ridetech adjustable coil over kit
Spohn adjustable pro Touring sway bar.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Kore3 does have some bearing adapters that will allow you to use your stock a-body spindles. Kore’s front kit rotors/calipers/pads/lines and a bearing adapter is $1758 US for the zo6 brakes and $1266 for the standard. For the front end only kits.

CPP cp30013 $270 spindles once you have them any factory/aftermarket c5/6 parts will work.
SKF br931002 $114 ( $228) each x tracker bearings
Calipers/rotors Ac delco’s are backordered.
Power stops are available without logo
POWER STOP S5006C $122 for both front calipers
POWER STOP TDBK1417 front rotors/pads/brackets $206
Brake lines $20-30
Total $856 for a upgraded spindle, top of the line hubs,

Z06 calipers/rotors adds about $200 for a extra
For a extra 15mm in rotor size.

Tobin at Kore makes nice adapters and brackets for sure and at one time it was the best/ only option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts