Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I've got....

72 13637 K 223697
743 A52 14 HPNT
Looks like 050(6,8or9) 03625

I know the 14 on the paint is pewter and I am assuming the H is white top.

Am I correct?

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
72 year
13637 Malibu 2 door sport coupe
K Built Kansas City, Missouri.
223687 Body sequence number
743 white interior
14 Pewter silver
H is probably a B for black Vinyl top. Available codes were B FOR BLACK, T FOR COVERT, G FOR GREEN , F FOR TAN, A FOR WHITE.
050 date, but you are not reporting the correct info. O5C would be the 3rd week of May.

5th character of your VIN will tell you what engine was originally installed for the 72 model year.

post your tag if you can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help on this. You are probably correct on 05C the C is covered with dirt in the pic I have. Man, that color code sure looks like an H though. That would be an odd combo of pewter and black with a white interior.

We just pulled this Chevelle out of a barn in central Kansas. It's at my parent's place and I am relying on pictures until I go get it next week.

·
Premium Member
1966 Chevelle SS396
141 Posts
Go to chevellestuff.net
Awesome resource for decoding Chevelle tags.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1966 Chevelle SS396
141 Posts
I found this on the ChevelleStuff site. Read this. And then pay close attention to the part that I highlighted.

·
Premium Member
1966 Chevelle SS396
141 Posts
Soooooo, based on my previous post, I did find that "H" is the trim code for a silver vinyl top on the 1972 Buick Skylark, which would kind of make sense if the bottom was Pewter. I could also be way off base.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome! The H code was throwing us a curveball, so much so that even my wife started researching it today. She found the H code for Buick and Pontiac as well and that was the theory we came up with too. Glad to see someone else sees that too. So it looks like I have a custom pewter on pewter with white interior Malibu. I can't imagine there are many others out there.

·
Premium Member
1966 Chevelle SS396
141 Posts
Yep, if we're right, I'd say you have a pretty rare color combo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts