Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently purchased an original GM non-functional cowl induction hood screen for my '71 Chevelle missing since I've had the Chevelle. I have the curved stainless trim for the back of the hood and will shortly have the metal mesh screen that is supposed to be there. My problem is not sure the type of attaching screws that were originally used. Stainless, flat black, Phillips, common slot screw or even hex head style? Can anyone tell me original type hardware used and where they can be purchased? Thanks in advance, Gary

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
Ten yrs ago, I added a COMPLETE CI hood system to my 70. I got EVERYTHING, including black Phillips round head (sheet metal type) screws with the screen from Original Parts Group.
By the way, the Team Chevelle sponsor is Ground Up Restorations, so I now buy everything from them or Henshaws.

I couldn't get under there with the camera, so I used an inspection mirror to get the picture. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info and the pic of the hardware. Figured it most likely would be a black finish styled screw, just wasn't sure about the head type. Should be pretty easy to come up with.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I couldn't get under there with the camera, so I used an inspection mirror to get the picture. :thumbsup:
[/QUOTE]

Thats using the ole noodle.....:D

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I'm at work & can't see Toms picture, so I'm not sure exactly what type of screw he has. But, several years ago when I installed that screen, the screws were a hair too long...... I had 4 or 5 dimples in the top side of the hood. Paintless dent repair got them out, but be aware of the possible problem.

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
I'm at work & can't see Toms picture, so I'm not sure exactly what type of screw he has. But, several years ago when I installed that screen, the screws were a hair too long...... I had 4 or 5 dimples in the top side of the hood. Paintless dent repair got them out, but be aware of the possible problem.
ABSOLUTELY!
And that also goes for anyone who is installing a CI hood setup. Watch out for the length of the bolts that attach the hinges for the outer door! :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts