Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IF i install a cowl hood, what parts must I have to just have the flapper open on acceleration? I have just the SS hood, but a neighbor has the C.I and I really like how the flapper opens on acceleration.

·
Registered
16 Posts
quick7d, check to see whats on your neighbors hood now, there is an outer door (the one you think is cool), and an inner door that can be seen from the underside of the hood. The outer door is vacuum controled by a vacuum canister mounted on a bracket by the rear lip of the hood. The inner door, if its still there, is controled by a electric soleniod mounted inside the cowl induction hole on the underside of the hood. The Vavuum canister is connected to a two way vacuum fitting behind the carb on the intake manifold, you may only have a 1 way fitting connected to the power brake booster. The solenoid has a 1 wirh harness coming from your fuse block, there is also a rubber gromet that goes on the hood where the wire passes thru to the solenoid & a plastic strap that holds both the wire and the vacuum line to the underside of the hood. That wire harness also connects to a swiths attached to the gas pedal ( u may have this if you have an automatic). One last thing, there is a "restrictor valve" that goes in the vacuum line between the intake and the canister, its currently unavailable but the system will work without it. Call Ken at Ground Up, they carry everything u need to get it all working, or only the parts to get the "cool door" to work. Chevelle World did a great step by step story some time ago.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If you hook the vacuum hose without the restrictor I think the flap will be moving every time you touch the gas pedal depending on how much vacuum your motor has. I remember my dads car had the restrictor and the flap only opened when the car gas pedal was floored or the car was shut off. It also had the 400 turbo kickdown switch hooked into that somehow. I know the 400 turbo from the factory should not down shift unless the pedal is naile to the metal.

·
Registered
13,015 Posts
Hey guys, a few days ago I posted a make-do restrictor valve to use with the cowl hood which is very cheap to make, and works great. It is located in this thread, you may have to scroll down 5-10 days. I know it looks and sounds like crap, but it works darn good!

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.