Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the archives and found several threads on this topic but none answered my questions so here here I go. Just received new wiring harnesses from M & H (dash, engine, console, cowl induction, etc...Can you say OUCH!?!?! :eek: ). Started installing the cowl induction harness. I'm trying to figure out where the kickdown wire is for the 400. The CI harness has the extra pig tails under the hood so I could run a jumper from the spade on the tranny up to the jumper but I want this to look as correct as possible. Is the tranny lead part of the engine harness by chance? I've been staring at my assembly manual as well as my Chevelle wiring diagrams for the past hour and a half! HELP!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
This has come up a few times before. Don't think that a definite answer including wiring specifics was ever posted.

Interesting observations.

M&H

1- Has a listing for kickdown harness for 68 & 69, same harness.
2- Has a listing for kickdown harness for 71 and 72.
3- No Kickdown listed for 70.
4- Big Block w/auto engine harnesses are the same price as BB w/man for all years except 70.

Assembly Manual

1- The 70 AM doesn't show how the kikdn switch gets power nor does it have a part # for the harness.
2- The illustration in the 70 AM, page 434, is basically the same as the 69 AM, page 419.
3- The 69 AM, page 420, illustrates how the kikdn harness connects to the fuseblock and the trans. Also has a harness part #. 70 AM has no such info.

I do have this pic that I found in my 70 info. Its a kick down harness just not sure if it's a 70 or 68/69.

Couple questions for you.

Did you get M&H engine harness #15100? If so does it have any wiring for the kikdn? Just trying to understand the extra cost of that harness.

On the cowl hood harness. What color are the pig tail wires at the -wide open throttle/kick down? switch. I know that at the fuseblock there is a tan wire, ACSRY connection, and a pink wire, IGN connection. The pink wire should connect to the switch, and maybe have a pigtail. The other wire that connects to the switch, don't know the color, (as you likely know) should have power when the switch is made, wide open throttle, and should connect to the kick down solenoid.

To get the factory look, you could buy the 69 kickdown harness and use it on your 70. Just not use the pink, power, wire in that harness.

Perhaps we could make a diagram that can be put in permanent archives for future reference. I'm sure this will come up again.

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine harness (15100) does not appear to have any connections for the kick down. There is the TCS plug for the transmission but no kick down.

The Cowl Induction hood harness (05005) tag shows it is for the 70, 71, & 72. Since M & H has a kick down harness listed for 71 & 72, I wonder if it is the same for 70.

I guess I will call them again on Monday (I've only talked to them about 6 times in the past week!)

I wish I could have used my old wiring as a guide however my car is a SS clone so the wiring wasn't correct to start with and besides that, the wiring is a mess (prior owner was a butcher...
)

Thanks for the assistance!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The 68/69 kick down harness is the same as the one in the pic. Which is why I recommended the 68/69 as opposed to 71. Don't know what the 72 looks line but I do know the 72 won't work.

For future reference I would still like to know the color of the pigtails at the switch.

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got off the phone with M & H. They say the engine harness does contain the transmission kickdown. There are two plugs that come off the engine harness that must be run through the firewall (the harness comes with the grommet) and these two wires connect to the "piggyback plugs" that go to the switch on the gas pedal (this all makes sense now - I couldn't figure out where those two wires go!
). For the transmission, there is a two-wire connection that comes off the engine harness (orange and black wires) in the shape of a T that connect to the spades on the transmission.

I'll make up a diagram documenting this for future reference and post it.

Now I need a photo for the correct placement of the extra hole I need to drill in my firewall. Anyone have an '70 auto with CI that could snap a pic? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Page 10 of the assembly manual has a diagram of all the firewall penetrations. G is for kick down wiring, N 1&2 are for the cowl hood.

Something to think about. If the engine harness has two wires for the kick down switch, one will have power. Can you tell what the source is? Will this power the cowl hood circuit as well or will it be abandoned and the cowl hood harness provide the power for both? I would think one or the other, the latter makes sense to me, but not both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts