Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here. Trying to hook up the cowl induction on this 70 el camino, and I'm getting a bit confused. Everything I can find shows the cowl induction solenoid is activated by a switch on the accelerator pedal. But the switch there activates the kickdown on the th400 tranny. So how do they both work off the same (or not same) switch? any guidance on this would sure be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
There is a separate switch available at most resto suppliers. It goes to a firewall mounted relay to open the rear cowell flap (I am sure the terminology is wrong). The vaccuum pod which is really what controls the cowel door connects to the carburator base through a VERY expensive valve. To be correct you need both. To be functional you only need the vaccuum pod.

The Team Chevelle sponsor, Ground Up Restoration, has it in their catalog on pages 2 and 3. Their number is 516-248-1061

------------------
Chuck
[email protected]

·
Registered
636 Posts
What Chuck is talking about is correct, buy he is confused on which valve you are talking about. The kickdown and the inner door for the C/I both run off the same switch. The wiring for the C/I that goes to that switch should have two extra plugs that are pigtailed, will allow you to plug in the wiring for the kickdown also. Mat ACES#2424

------------------

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Sound's like you need the cowl induction wiring harness too. If ground up doesn't have it, try Year One etc.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
The cowl induction operates in two fashions. One from manifold vacuum and the other from the switch on the acellerator pedal. You will have a harness that gets plugged into the fuses panel, then it goes to the switch, then passes through the firewall to the relay mounted on the firewall(If I can recall correctly the wires are pink and light brown) Then a wire leaves the relay goes through the hood grommet to the Door actuator solenoid. The harness will provide you with the necessary connectors for the kickdown. This diagram is also in the assembly manual...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.