Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, restoring a 70 Chevelle and had a hood shipped overseas to us. Unfortunately it is non cowl functioning type. I do have the flapper and emblems and as it would be 2 months delay and a lot of dollars to get another to us, I have a couple of questions and would appreciate your help. Firstly, do the hoods differ in appearance, (Ie is the non cowl induction raised sections not as high) and secondly are we able to cut a hole in our hood ( you can see where the cut out area is) and then just fix the flapper in place therefore would be for looks only? Cheers Paul

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Funny, when I ordered my hood I wanted a non functioning cowl and.. got a cowl induction hood. Now that its functional, yeh trick...
I never bothered to look at another to see if its possible..

Sections? Same height.
flapper door setup? Look at your hood, really wish icould help you on that one.if it is important, get the right one in.
other more knowlegeable peeps will chime in...
good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Looking at the hood mounted on the car, other than the cut out for the Cowl Induction flapper door and the holes for mounting the Cowl Induction emblems they appear exactly the same. There is structural differences on the bottom side of the hood for the Cowl Induction style air cleaner. If I were you I would just use it as a domed SS hood unless your car originally came with Cowl Induction. In that case I would have to have the correct hood.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The PO of my car did that... They are still there as I haven't gotten around to correcting it.

They don't look bad, but they aren't right. In fact, those that don't know better, don't know better. :) But I do, and eventually (behind a long list of other projects) it will probably get fixed (just like any other project is a "probably" until it actually happens.)

Whatever you do just don't put the emblems on a non CI hood. Looks rediculous.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Advice taken,.. I always wondered why guys did that. I have asked the restore guy to form the space, fix the flapper in a slightly raised position and then when I get some more dollars together in a year or so, will get another hood and go full operating CI. Unfortunately I need to fit his programme and it would be two months to get another hood... cheers

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
The inner structure of the domed hood and the cowl induction hood are different. The part that seals to the air cleaner to direct the incoming air is not on the domed hood.

A domed hood can be made to function as as cowl induction, just wouldn't have the flapper. The guy that built my 72 El camino made a functioning cowl induction domed hood. The panel needs to have holes cut into it for airflow and then an airbox that seals to the hood. I had the cowl induction emblems but never put them on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts