Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 70 SS with cowl induction and have several questions. The cowl flap stays open when engine off and closes when engine starts. There are new vacuum parts that work well. Now the problem-I see an elecrical part (servo?) up in the hood but no wire going to it. This car was just restored by a dealer and I am finding bits and pieces missing here and there. I assume the electrical part opens the inner door when told to do so some how or does the inner door stay open all the time when the engine is running and the vacuum line somehow senses when air is needed and opens the flap. I am going to look in my 70 service manual and maybe it expains in there and I will also do a search in the Tech archives. Thanks is advance for your help

------------------

·
Registered
99 Posts
Chuck the one on top that you see works off the engine vacum. When you shut the engine off the flap should open and when you start the engine it is regulated by the vacum. The second flap that you don"t see is controlled by a switch on top of the gas pedal, when you push the gas pedal about 3/4 of the way down it opens the hidden flap electically.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Chuck,
The outside flapper door on the hood is supposed to stay open when the engine is off,
when it is running it stays closed untill you stomp on it. it runs off a vacuum, when you stomp on it the vacuum drops causing the door to open. The inner plastic door is electricly operated by a switch that is mounted at the gas pedal. it is the same switch used for the Kickdown on a turbo 400
there is also a solenoid that open and closes the inner door, and a harness that goes from the solenoid to a relay then through the firewall, and plugs into the accessory outlet in the fuse box.

Jeff Litka
72 Chevelle SS
72 MonteCarlo

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. Now I need to go crawl under the dash and see if the switch is there at the top of the gas pedal. There is no wire going to the hood now so I have some tracing to do.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
CHUCK,
The assembly manual has fairly good info/illustrations. One thing not mentioned above is that there is a vacuum check valve in the vacuum hose going to the vacuum pod for the outer door.
The wire going to the inner door solenoid is part of a seperate harness specifically for the CI hood plus a relay. On the firewall, where the accelerator cable comes through, which is a square hole, there is a second square hole for the CI hood harness. It may be plugged.
ANY and ALL of the CI hood components are available through most or all of the aftermarket suppliers. Try our sponsor, GROUND UP, first.
If you have ANY problems/questions, come here for help. LOTS of people here have correct CI hoods that can help. I have 2.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tom, after I posted the question I went to search and found 40 previous topics on Cowl Induction and I think at least 15 of them were comments from you. I printed all of them that pertained to my questions and found great info. If I had done that first I probably would not have cluttered up the Forum with my question. This is a great site and somehow we should encourage everyone to try search first, then post the question. Of course it has taken me an hour and a half to read all the postings but it was fun and kept me away from the "honey do" list. Now, I am searching for A/C conversion for my 70 SS but it is not as complete as the CI hood section. I may contact you when I get back to making the system work.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.