Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that all original cowl hood are for big blocks. I am wondering if it will still function correctly for a small block. The air cleaner pod in the hood sits up further, will it line up and function correctly. Also i heard you need a TH-400 tranny to activate the damper door; is this true also. I have a TH-350

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes this is true , Cowl Induction was only available on Big block cars, But you do not have to have a turbo 400. The switch that activates the air valve inside the hood is the same switch used for the kickdown on a th400. It's mountedon a bracket at the accelerator pedal. Don't forget, 4spd cars came with cowl induction also. I also have a small block with cowl induction that i added
15 yrs ago. I never connected up the electrical part though. I just ran it with the vaccum actuator. but now that i'm restoring the car Im planning on connecting everything up properly. I did read in the Chevelle Restoation guide that there were some dealers that installed cowl induction on small block cars for some customers.
Good luck
Jeff

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
Mel,
I have just finished installing a complete functioning cowl hood on a 4sp SB400. Everything fits and works. Because the SB is about 2in shorter than a BB, the center of the air cleaner sits about 1in further back than the center of a BB air cleaner. Therefore the rubber seal that mates to the hole in the hood will mate OK. Depending on what intake and carb you use it may or may not be necessary to use the spacer between the carb and air cleaner base. I am using the early Z-28 hi-rise aluminum intake with an adapter plate for a Q-jet which places the rubber seal tight against the hood and makes a good seal. If you don't have ALL of the cowl hood parts, they are available from Chev or repro dealers. There is also a repro hood available at about half the price of a new one from Chev.

------------------

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.