Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a beautifully restored '70 SS 396 tonight at a new classic car dealership in North Houston. However, the car had no inner gate on the CI hood, just the flapper with the vacuum pod. Was this a missing item in '70 vs '72? How effective is the CI hood compared to just using an open air cleaner with the normal SS hood? (I know the normal SS hood is blocked).

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Kevin, ANYtime you can seal off the hot underhood air going to the carb and take in fresh, cooler outside air, performance will be improved. At one time in the past, that was "HOT ROD" stuff. But look ALL cars today, U.S. or import. Every vehicle built today now has some sort of ductwork directing outside air to the intake. And that is what a complete CI hood system does if the sealing ring is in good shape. Of course this only works under full throttle when the elec solenoid opens the inner door, but if the inner door is removed, then fresh air goes to the air cleaner all the time. So, to answer your question, yes cooler air from a CI hood is better than an open element air cleaner.

------------------

·
Registered
79 Posts
I thought we had had a long discussion concerning this topic once on this board. If I recall it was pointed out that CI hood did not produce a measurable performance increase and it was concluded that the the functioning CI was more of a 'cool' feature.

DZ is right though, in theory. Cooler air should make the vehicle perform better. Rather the CI hood actually gets much cooler air than a regular SS hood and open element air cleaner, well...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
70-72 cowl induction hoods are the same. The 70 you looked at is missing parts.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Kevin,
Buck and Steve are right, CI hoods have been discussed and there may be some parts missing or just removed from the hood. Just how much benefit is gained from the CI hood is debatable. I remember back in the very early 70s, HOT ROD commented that on top end the cooler air from a CI hood may only be worth 10hp. But you know, if you get 10hp here, 6hp there, 2hp somewhere else, change this and get 3hp and then fix that for 4hp, before you know it, you have another 25hp. Myself, I have often considered completely removing the inner door and frame to allow full time cool air to the air cleaner. Regardless of any benefit, the factory 70-72 CI hoods are one of the neatest, trickest options ever offered on a muscle car. Period! Have you ever been going down the interstate and the kids in the Honda Passport next to you are looking at your SS with CI hood, you accelerate to pop open the flapper and they say "Mommy, Daddy! Looky! Looky!" And the preppy daddy looks over, thinking "I wish the hell I had one of those, I'd be cool." And the Miss Premadonna mommy has no clue.
Cowl Induction hoods are cool, trick and functional! That's why I stuck one on my wife's Malibu conv. Instantly, it's a different car.

------------------

·
Registered
79 Posts
That was great! I think I might just upgrade my SS hood to a CI just so I can experience what DZ described!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Have to agree with DZ-Put one on my 71 Malibu Conv-it's been severly butchered from prevous owners so I figured heck with stock: Todays kids flip out when that flapper pops up and you pull away from the 5.slow..what a rush.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.