Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an NOS cowl induction breather some years ago from an individual-it looked right. Recently I purchased a 'kit' that contained the works-with the price it worked out to be a better deal to purchase it which has another breather in it. Here's the dilema, the alleged NOS breather has an oval circle separate from the base and a flat edge on it-the repro has the oval tacked on the base as one piece and the edge is not flat but more rounded. Help-what do I have, a poor repro or a screw job on an NOS breather???
Thanks in advance,
Dave

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
Dave,
You lost me. I have 2 CI cars in my garage now and can't place the oval circle and flat edge you mention. Can you give us a little more info?

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
Aaaahhhh, the correct answer is.....Poor Repro!
He's talking about the big ring that sits on top of the base, that holds the seal...The one that has the rolled lip where the distributor clearance is.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BINGO!!!!!!!! Dave you got it! It sits on top of the base and has a 'flat' edge about 4 or maybe 5 inches in length. But it IS removeable, where the repro is welded on. I assume this ring has something to do with the rubber seal? Also, what is the flat edge for and where does it face? Cowl or core support?
Thanks guys,
Dave

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
OK! Now I'm with you. The flat edge faces toward the right hood hinge (toward the ac box on air cars). But, if it is manufactured correctly, it only fits one way. The air cleaner base has an indentation at the rear for dist clearance. The Cowl Seal Ring (or flange) also has an indentation to mate with the indentation of the air cleaner base. There was a decal (and it is available from some aftermarket sources, I have one on each car) that says REAR, which goes on the top rear of this ring right over the dist. A complete CI air cleaner has 5 pieces: base, filter, lid, seal ring, seal. And then there is a spacer that goes between the top of the carb and the air cleaner base, but if you use a hi-rise intake, the spacer will not be needed. I have a SB400 in my 70 conv with one of the very early hi-rise Z/28 intakes and a Q-jet and the spacer is not needed. The CI system on my son's 71 BB is all original parts. The CI system on my 70 conv is ALL from Original Parts Group with a repo hood and air cleaner. I am extremely pleased with all the parts including the repo CI air cleaner.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.