Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - My car is supposedly all original - Jan built 1970 in Arlington, TX, stock SS hood - no induction - it has no cowl grills. I spoke with the previous owners whom advised never - never had them.

So what's the real answer to this one, is the 70 without induction supposed to have grills or not.

Thks

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

http://www.my70ss.com

·
Registered
177 Posts
From what I know some did and some didn't. They do help keep the leaves and crap from getting down there and pluging up the drains. Just my .02!!

------------------
Tom Donaldson
71' GMC Sprint

·
Registered
103 Posts
Rich,

My Arlington built 70 also did not have the Cowl Vent Screens. When I did the underhood resto last year I put a set on just because I think it looks better. Maybe it depends on the factory that built the car as to whether the car got the screens or not.

Jody

------------------
70 Chevelle SS Hardtop
454/400T.H.
4:10 Ratio
Black/White Stripes
My 1970 SS

·
Registered
425 Posts
Rich,

Like almost every possible topic, this has been discussed before. It is my understanding and I think the concensus of this forum that NO 70 Chevelle came with the cowl grills. They were a Buick and Pontiac option. Like Jody, I have added them to my car and that is why you see so many Chevelles with them.

FYI, the same holds true for the stainless trim on gas, brake and clutch peddles. These were NOT Chevelle items.

Just My $.02 worth

------------------
Bill Taylor
TC Gold Member #73
December 1999 Feature Car
www.chevelles.com/feature/december99.htm
www.chevelles.com/showroom/BillTSS70-2
www.chevelles.com/showroom/leaves2

[This message has been edited by Bill T SS70 (edited 02-12-2001).]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Count me in with the crowd that believes that no cowl induction cars came with them.
I put them on my car, though, for the exact reason that Tom mentioned above. When the garage is finally done maybe I'll take them out again

------------------

Mark
1970 SS454 LS6 (nom)
-------------------------
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom to achieve a measure of 'safety' deserve neither freedom nor safety."

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
They were a Buick and Pontiac option

They were also standard on Monte Carlos

------------------
"Details Make the Difference"

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>'68 SS427 Impala
<LI>'69 SS427 Impala Convertible
[/list]

[This message has been edited by Rick_Nelson (edited 02-12-2001).]